What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What I've learned while trading on here

I've had the opportunity to participate in a few trades here and there and have paused to think back on some experiences.

Most recently, I put out a request for some help. I must have started to type it out on 3 or 4 different occasions, but it felt weird. My collection took a hit from what I'm hoping was just the hard water coming out of the "purified water" machine at the store and I was facing a rather bleak assortment in the backyard.

I finally put the call out after getting a few freelance checks in and figured that I could at least pay the shipping if I had nothing of interest still alive so I didn't feel quite so much like I was begging. A few came forward and helped me get some of the old plants replaced and even some great new additions. Thanks to those that helped out-John, Chris, Crystal-you folks are awesome!

So what have I learned?

1. Most people on here are great. I've run across a horse's behind in a trade, but that's is VERY rare.
2. It will equal out eventually. If the person that you're trading with gets the "better deal", don't fret. You'll probably get swamped more more plants than you have room for from somebody else down the road.
3. Perhaps the most important lesson of them all-think twice before admitting that you're out of D adelae or capensis!!!!! I was down to one young cape and wasn't sure if the adelae runt was going to grow into anything. Now...I'm set. Very set! Thanks guys (meant in an all inclusive, unisex sort of way).
4. "This Side Up" had might as well be written in Latin.

I'm hoping that I have my problems figured out and that these shall thrive to the point where some of the extras can work their way into the auction coming up. I'll keep the adelae and capensis for myself though.

4. "This Side Up" had might as well be written in Latin.

or "Fragile"......had 3 nep cuttings arrive in a box that had "Fragile" written all over it.....the mail man said it appeard as if a sack had gotten thrown on it......i commented it looked like it had been drop kicked a few times........however the cuttings were fine......

I'll keep the adelae and capensis for myself though.

Oh I see how it is someone shares rare parts of their collection with you and you deny them to the rest of us. :-))

Actually some people might actually want those plants as they don't have them because they never got them or they didn't survive some unfortunate circumstances (lets just say scrubbing bubbles effectively kills cape dews to nothing). I know I would bid on them if they were up for auction though that is all dependent on me figuring things out with leaving for Peru the day after the auction ends.

I will say though that the people on this forum are generally very generous with their plants and you will end up with a large collection if you are not careful. Unfortunately they dont always move 1300 miles all that well.

I received a plant from a trade arranged on here a couple weeks ago. The box was originally larger, like 18" x 18" x 12" or something like that. When I got it, it was about 6" x 17" x 10" and had the shape missing that roughly resembled a bowling ball, lol. I should've taken a picture! Plant was in great shape, though.

Things I haven't necessarily learned from personal experience on the forums, but rather through my job, is that you need to be very clear on the trade terms. It helps everyone. I usually send a pm to the person like this:

xvart: trading 1 N. lowii x truncata
illbasso: trading 2 D. capensis

Please confirm.

We do have a great community here and people are very generous; but, occasionally, trades do go amiss (whether maliciously or simple misunderstanding) it always helps to be clear in the beginning, just so everyone is on the same page. Of course, there are several people I've traded with many times and it's more just garbley gook pms back and forth.

xvart.

(P.S. Aren't I generous in my trade offer?! What goes around, comes around!)

Some great points from all. I've learned that the best people are out there just waiting to be given a shot at proving themselves. Then again that being said, so of the knuckleheads pop up now and again too. One thing I've learned recently is that a $1 tracking # from the USPS is well worth it, my ebay sale of some car parts never arrived at the sellers. A refund is gonna cost me but who am I to question.

I think ilbasso summed it up pretty well. Don't fret the trades value they will even out eventually if your willing to be generous with others. Jimscott is a prime example of this.

We all need to perpetuate the Tamlin Effect to keep this community alive.

ilbasso,

No problem at all. I'm glad that I was able to help you out even if I did send ya a few too many D. adelae and capensis haha :boogie:. I was helped when I first started out in the hobby and I wanted to return the favor. A lot of my stuff is still on the common side, but I think you still got a few good things! I'm just happy you were satisfied with what I sent. Enjoy!

droseraguy,

Did you know that if you go to the USPS website and print the shipping labels from there, delivery confirmation is free? I didn't know this until recently.

Crystal

Reading the Trade Rules (though long) can help a lot in having successful trades. AND...if you do have a bad trade, please let mods know. Letting us know doesn't necessarily mean someone is gonna get whacked on the Bad Trader list, it just lets us know what is going on so if we need to intervene, we can.

That said...this is a VERY generous forum! So many offers of free material.

And...as Droseraguy mentioned...we need to all remember the Tamlin effect. If you receive something for free, propagate it and pass it on to at least 3 people for free. Those people will in turn propagate and pass on to 3 people. Its like a ripple in a pond spreading outward...a giving ripple! This a great way to spread material, especially the rarer stuff.

Unfortunately Tamlin isn't around these days to preach his plant sermon...but we can keep it alive!

Also...thank you for mentioning the upcoming auction. NASC is grateful to EVERYONE who donates to this. Not only does it help keep NASC funded and enable us to do things like donate to the Splinter Hill campaign (in keeping with our mission!), but its just ...downright FUN!!! There is nothing like that last hour of battling! lol :D

Tamlin Effect! Tamlin Effect! Tamlin Effect!

Back