What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

hedgehogs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had gerbils and a couple of chipmunks when I was little. I loved 'em.

Ahh gerbils. We bought two female gerbils when I was around ten years old. As it turns out, the two female gerbils were actually one male and one female... Needless to say, we had over 200 babies pass through that cage... We couldn't give them away fast enough. My dad ended up telling us that he took the extra 150 some to the pet store, presumably, as most ten year olds would believe, to let them sell them to other people. Two years ago (which would have been 14 years after the story) I found out that my dad was giving them to the pet store to use as snake food! lol. "I never lied to you, son." Betrayal!!!!

xvart.

One word of caution with the dwarf rabbit if you don't give it enough stuff to chew on (those little sticks they sell at the store etc.) and you don't monitor it when its out of its cage they can be extremely destructive. Our friends had one and got rid of it cause it destroyed part of their couch, it ate a hole in the drywall, a shoe, a cabinet corner, some shoe molding. Now I am not saying yours will be that destructive I am just saying you have to monitor it or things like that might happen. Other than the eating of everything it was a really nice pet that liked everybody so I am not warning agianst one I am just saying you have to keep it under control thats all.

rofl @ xvart. ohmigod. That's terrible! I had a male and female but they never had babies. All of my pets seemed to be sterile. lol My parents lied to me and my brother when we were really little and told us our cat ran away. Fact was, they had found him dead on the side of the road. They didn't have the heart to tell us then but later said it broke their hearts to see us calling for the kitty day after day after day. I couldn't believe they lied to us! lol

A neighbor of mine had a house rabbit. It was litter trained but I did notice her kitchen walls were torn up.

Gerbils are illegal in California.

I've had plenty of hamsters in my time. I just love 'em. The dwarf hamsters are somewhat social if you introduce the animals together when they are young. I've only had the golden or Syrian hamsters and only one had a nervous disposition that would bite. You can usually get these used to handling by wearing thick gloves while playing with them.

Hamsters have short life-spans of an average of two years. If you keep their cages clean they smell a lot less than rats.

Unlike guinea pigs and rabbits they don't mind being carried in your hands. They are quite active and care must be taken that they don't run out of your hands since they have little sense of heights and a fall is usually fatal. You can let them run from hand to hand in an endless treadmill - they love it.

They are nocturnal so they are active at night. You can wake them up during the day to clean the cage or play with them but they might be a bit grumpy when first awakened. And wait until the pee before playing with them when they first wake up.

Get a sugar glider. It would be the perfect environment for it in California with all of the eucalyptus trees and fruit fields =)

Just kidding dont.

Pshh, why get a mammalian fuzzball that stinks and sheds hair all over...;) Get a mantis or better yet, a male and female pair. Learn how to breed them and you'll have pets forever!

Get a lionhead rebbit. Goofy lil guy I have.

pssshhh mamalian pets.

REPTILES are the way to go. Generally the same space requirements as most of these "snake foods"! Depends on the species/genus/etc...but most reptiles sold at pet stores are really easy to care for!

Rabbits are cool but if they get out your done for and they enjoy fresh foods with lots of space. Your right SW tanks cost alot still saving up $450 not including any live stock.

I would certainly recommend that over a nasty rat, yuck. (Sorry guys, but mice/rats only belong in traps or the mouths of snakes, IMHO)
QUOTE]

This is not true. Rats are not nasty in any way. They are clean and very smart.

I have a rabbit back in Canada. It's a Mini Lop. He's really friendly and is potty trained to go in a litterbox. I have a guinea pig here and I'm working on potty training him this weekend, lol. Not as exciting as a rabbit, but still sweet :) I hope you find what you're looking for. Maybe you can try finding a rabbit at a shelter. Then you can help out a homeless bunny and you'd get a friend
:)

sorry PAK i will change it and billy it is ilegal to own a flying squirel here
DJ, that's coll i will have 2 choices dwarf rabbit or dwarf hamster, but to me the rabbit looks more energetic and playful:)
my mom and dad are afraid of rats so i can't keep them . Davey, do dwarf rabbits like to have another rabbit friend ?

Train it when young to go into a box full of shavings it is worth it then you never almost have to change the newspaper under the cage. Give them more than jsut pellet food try to get small amoutns of alfalfa hay and give them lots of good vegetables(not ice berg lettuce though) For hamsters I think they are lower maintenance than rabbits. I've had bunnies for like 6 years so I have an idea of keeping rabbits. If you want 2 rabbits and they are grown up MAKE SURE they are not boys they will try to castrate each other. If you want to get one rabbit then get another one later gets females,all females then there are no fights,blood and other things that make rabbits sound not so cute and fluffy. When they are young your taking a chance since they are very hard to sex,when they are older is is more apparent.

I've always wanted a hedge hog since I was 10 yearas old and my parents hired a "traveling zoo" fo rmy birthday and I got to hold it. it was spiky and curled up in a ball but I didn'
t care it was so awesome.

So how would someone aquire one in california? I wouldn't mind a pet that doesn't really like me, I'd just enjoy looking at it mostly anyways.

I've always wanted a hedge hog since I was 10 yearas old and my parents hired a "traveling zoo" fo rmy birthday and I got to hold it. it was spiky and curled up in a ball but I didn'
t care it was so awesome.

So how would someone aquire one in california? I wouldn't mind a pet that doesn't really like me, I'd just enjoy looking at it mostly anyways.

anyone have any pictures of thier pet hedgie?

My family had a dwarf rabbit for a really long time. Seriously, it was probably one of the best cage pets we ever owned. Before the rabbit we kept guinea pigs, which although cute, are about as cuddly as a rock that tries to run away from you. Then we got the dwarf rabbit. Not only was it super cute, it always stayed small, and I was never bitten by it, ever. I used to sit with it on the couch, and it would just sit there and lick the hell out of me. Really easy to care for, except that they poo a whole lot. We never potty trained out rabbit, but I know people who have. Really fond memories of that rabbit. I would certainly recommend that over a nasty rat, yuck. (Sorry guys, but mice/rats only belong in traps or the mouths of snakes, IMHO)

And please don't get hermit crabs if you aren't planning on doing the research thats associated with them. They can live forever if you care for them correctly, but you have to realize that they like to spend a lot of time under the ground, not being disturbed. So unless you enjoy invisible subterranean pets, I would stay away from hermit crabs.

Maybe you shouldnt keep those nasty plants either. they are weird, and should be left in the wild.

Its a social stigma rats are nasty, they are in fact as clean as a house cat (they keep them selfs as clean, rats are very friendly social animals. Dont say somethings nasty horrid or gross until you keep it.
If rats were nasty, then im sure allot of people wouldn't keep them.

Ive never had a nice rabbit though, ive had good and bad rabbits. Rabbits are less open than rats are I feel. Rats are just like small dogs.

my choice is made i will keep a rabiit! mods can you close this?

my choice is made i will keep a rabiit! mods can you close this?

Your wish is my command. Good luck with the rabbit. We all expect to see pictures.

xvart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back