What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

well the winter wasnt to bad

its finally truly warming up...looks like most everything has made it.....my weeping mulberry started leafing out yesterday.......looks like the male and atleast one female Actinidia arguta(kiwi) made it through the winter(just started budding out today, and the -60 didnt kill them down to the roots like i was worried about so hopefully i can grow other kiwi than just A. kolomikta as they bloom on 2 year old wood.....last years vines actually lived through the winter to some extent........both the Concord and Amur grapes made it through the winter....the saskatoon berries made it through the winter and are blooming......the honeyberries are popping out of the ground.....think they died to the roots over the winter.....unsure if thats going to be a problem as i dont know if they bloom on first or second year wood, will see what happens after next winter.......

i ran across a seed selling site yesterday and found and ordered seeds for 3 other hardy kiwi species.....aswell as a couple passiflora for house plants, chocolate vine, magnolia vine and cause the wife spotted them, kona coffee seeds.......

Good to hear most of your plants made it. Its just been so slow to warm up this season that it drives me nuts.

was driving me nuts too.....i know mulberries are one of the last trees to leaf out but was still getting worried.....the first winter is always the hardest on plants, especially given our lack of snow cover combined with really low temps......i was looking over the trunks of both the mulberries and the kiwi a month ago and was bout 95% sure they were alive but it was good to finally have them leaf out and prove it.........

scratch that.....seeds from 4 other Kiwi species Actinidia chinensis, Actinidia kolomikta, Actinidia polygama and Actinidia purpurea.....also am getting seeds from a self fertile cultivar of A. arguta.......granted they arent cuttings of named cultivars so its a bit of a crap shoot on fruit charicteristics but for just female plants of them all i would be into them for well over $100, and would require males of atleast a couple but some of them will cross pollenate across species lines.....but im getting the seed for around $12 which the wife doesnt complain about near as much :grin:

Back