What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The oil crisis may soon be over

• Thread starter Ozzy
  • Start date

Ozzy

SirKristoff is a poopiehead
Staff member
Supporter
There is a car that is about to be released in the US, that could END our oil problems. I saw this on the discovery channel about a year ago, but I have just learned that plans are being made to produce it this year in the US. It cost's about $2 to fill up and has a maximum range of 800 miles. It has 0 emissions when driven below 35 mph, and almost 0 when driven above that. It runs on compressed air. You only have to change the oil every 31,000 miles.

When I saw this on Discovery, I truly believed it could work. Now looking at the website, I think it's finally about to happen.

This car is reasonably priced too, it's less than $18,000 for the 6 seater.

I've signed up to be notified of any future updates and if this pans out to be as good as it sounds I will buy one.

Don't believe me? Look for yourself.

http://zeropollutionmotors.us/

Lol. That looks terrible lol. Couldn't they have made a more attractive design? That looks worse than a scion, and I didn't think it got worse than a scion.

But, if it does happen, a farting car would be cool.

I hope so the economy is starting to flush down the toilet :(....
Seems very possible for popularity they need a better look though ...
I bet for the city where weaker low HP cars are great they will be great unless they do more innovating.

It's look is it's biggest negative. But for the money, I'll save, I can live with it.

And nothing is uglier than a scion.

Interesting car worth it if it I guess, but I think I'll wait awhile to before buying one just incase there's a problem I'm always cautious with things like this.

citycat_orange_s.jpg

"Can't they make a fuel efficient car that doesn't look like a gay spaceship?"

-some comedian who's name I don't remember

Anyway, this car isn't that much more weird looking than my Ford Focus, so it wouldn't bother me a lot to drive this.

The only thing bad thing about things like compressed air, hydrogen, and the likes is that they're all really dangerous. Gasoline is to a degree but it's no where near as bad as the alternatives. With compressed air you'd basically be riding around with a bomb strapped to your car.

Well, then the only difference is after a wreck is your pieces are smaller!! :-D

On the discovery channel, it showed the tank and it was made from carbon fiber. It is protected by the frame. If it's in a crash and the tank is ruptured it will rapidly decompress without exploding.

Um, that doesn't *actually* mean it has zero emissions, any more than an electric car has zero emissions.

Electric, hydrogen, and compressed-air cars all work on the same principle - they take energy on board in a stored form which can power the car without emissions, but that energy must come from somewhere. You need a power plant to generate the electricity, a plant to make the hydrogen, or an air compressor, all of which cost energy to run.

Now, in all fairness, a large plant making hydrogen, compressed air, or power can do so more efficiently and with less pollution per Watt than modern cars, simply because such large installations can make use of large, heavy, non-portable machinery to improve efficiency, while a car engine must obviously remain small enough to fit into a car. But to label them as "zero emissions" is misleading and inaccurate.

What's impressive about the air-car is that it's found a new way to store energy which is probably a lot lighter. Hydrogen stored in tanks in carsis asking for a catastrophic explosion. Alternatively, if stored in metal hydrides, it's heavy as hell. Batteries for electric cars are similarly massive. Presumably an air-car can store the same energy in a lighter way, and the tank could be pre-rigged so that if it does rupture, it'll do so in a harmless way.

Mokele

Second video down it does say that you still need fossil fuels to produce the air (at the air pump) BUT, they also said later that they have an engine that can produce the electricity from the compressed air. Win win.

They could cut the fossil fuels out of the equation if they used wind turbines to produce the electricity to run the air compressor.

It's called a very efficient battery that won't get damaged from improper charging or all the battery problems. Compressed air is great since it isn't expensive minus the tank. I wish they could make a hovercraft that has a air driven prop :) Lipos stink since they have weight to them,are expensive,can get damaged easy and will violently explode if damaged(but are great for secondary power storage not a primary storage). I really like this idea better than hydrogen(no platinum,pem membranes,hydrogen worries and hydrogen viability problems) since there are no fuel cells needed or any this or that just compressed air, you could even run a small generator for your this or that, When you brake, it would put power into a small Lipo bank. The possibilities are endless; you could have a battery bank of lipos that are for emergency usage you could "recharge" (via a small compressor) your air tank and keep that going with your braking generator.... Makes me kinda exited :lol:

Renewable power is worthless without a good battery. Once we get this new battery technology the leap to solar/wind as the primary source of energy for the grid should be easier.

Um, that doesn't *actually* mean it has zero emissions, any more than an electric car has zero emissions.

But the emissions aren't coming out of the car, so the emissions aren't your fault. I love the American Dream.
~Joe

I've often wondered why companies are taking things the size of the already fuel efficient Hondas and Toyotas etc and making THEM more fuel efficient when the ones that need the new technology are the larger vehicles. I realize that you have to start somewhere, but if you could pull off a hybrd semi or RV...now THAT would impact things a great deal. Imagine how much you could make with a fuel efficient RV.

I entered truckers' log info into a data base at a previous job and the bucks that they spend is incredible. When you stop to think about what that translates into as far as gallons...yipes!

I need the cargo capacity of my Explorer so I'm screwed anyway. I'm really uncomfortable in this Explorer when semis blast past me in rain and snow-you couldn't pay me to get into one of these death-mobiles.

Our Mission: To bring zero pollution motoring at any speed, for any distance, to the largest number of motorists possible and, in doing so, significantly improve the quality of the air we breathe and reduce our collective carbon footprint.

What they don't tell you is that they're reducing the carbon footprint by reducing the population of drivers by killing them off. It doesn't matter how careful you are-things happen beyond your control and this doesn't look like it'll keep you safe in a side impact.

i like it! it just needs a paint and body job:)

Yay! Save the world :D!!!

Electric, hydrogen, and compressed-air cars all work on the same principle - they take energy on board in a stored form which can power the car without emissions, but that energy must come from somewhere. You need a power plant to generate the electricity, a plant to make the hydrogen, or an air compressor, all of which cost energy to run.

Now, in all fairness, a large plant making hydrogen, compressed air, or power can do so more efficiently and with less pollution per Watt than modern cars, simply because such large installations can make use of large, heavy, non-portable machinery to improve efficiency, while a car engine must obviously remain small enough to fit into a car. But to label them as "zero emissions" is misleading and inaccurate.

What's impressive about the air-car is that it's found a new way to store energy which is probably a lot lighter. Hydrogen stored in tanks in carsis asking for a catastrophic explosion. Alternatively, if stored in metal hydrides, it's heavy as hell. Batteries for electric cars are similarly massive. Presumably an air-car can store the same energy in a lighter way, and the tank could be pre-rigged so that if it does rupture, it'll do so in a harmless way.

Mokele

I agree with you on the part about not being emission free because currently we do get out hydrogen from fossil fuels. Yet the storing of hydrogen storage in cars I disagree with. BMW has made a hydrogen powered combustion engine. Not a fuel cell, but it actually burns the hydrogen making water. They store liquid hydrogen in a tank behind the seat. They crash tested the tank and it is VERY strong. They dropped a full tank from a ridiculous hight and it didn't rupture. I read it on the BMW site. Also hydrogen has to be in certain proportions with O2 to be combustible, or so I am told. Is that wrong?

Back