What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Medicine: To Use or Not to Use

i see these posts from time to time on all forums i visit.....seem to always notice they are made by young ppl who themselves, personally have never been through the hell caused by serious illness and seen just how modern "synthetic" meds can help........funny thing is they always seem to point to someone having cancer when they are younger.......i have a dear friend who is dieing from bone and lung cancer.....she has had cancer 2 other times in the past......radiation has saved her the last 2 times.....radiation and a new synthetic drug are the only reasons she has a projected 3 years left on this earth instead of being in the ground now. the only reason i aint dead is because of synthetic medicine.......and i have had bad experiences with it aswell..

homeopathy has its place, natural medicines have their place, hell even prayer has its place in modern medicine...........to say modern synthetic meds dont have a place is just youthful ignorance........

I'd be dead, too; unless there's something out there that naturally emulates islet cells and insulin production; but, since I haven't heard as much in the last 15 years I'll assume as much. In the meantime, I'll stick to my insulin pump, my outrageous insurance costs, and mnothly bills because I've got plans for my life and goals still unaccomplished.

Adam - I do, however, understand where you are coming from. There is the question of quality of life versus longevity of life. It is a terible thing to watch someone so vibrant and loving rapidly deteriorate in front of your eyes. I just did it with my neighbor and close family friend. If I turned out to be half the man he was I'd be pretty pleased. Anyways, in the end he said he didn't want to do any more chemo and life support and chose to have his friends and family remember him for the man he was and not the vegetable that he would become since his journey with leukemia began two months prior. My only wish is that I have the strength to do the same if I'm in that poistion.

So yes, I know what you are saying; but, I'm not sure that it is necessarily relevant because, as mentioned, that argument is quality of life versus longevity of life; which is, in and of itself, only relevant in specific circumstances. My fianl point about that is insome cases both will kill a person; it just depends on how we want to fight it and how much energy we have in the end. That is when the herbal medicene ideology and values becomes important.

xvart.

Last edited:
Where did Kristoff post? I didn't realize your diabetes was that bad. Want to hear something funny? I knew a girl who used one once and I thought it was a pager lmao. I thought to myself "God, who uses beepers these days?" lol.

You could make the argument that radiation penicillin, levothyroxine and insuline are OK because they occur in nature, but saying penicillin (and there other three if agrees with that) are OK, even though they are made in a lab, is sort of hypocritical. Unless you want to eat moldy oranges to get your penicillin and cow pancreas or something for your insulin.

And you could go further and say that unless you don't eat any synthetic chemicals in your food, your sort of being hypocritical. I think half the stuff we eat is worse than the drugs we take. But boy, oh boy, Acesulfame K sure does taste dandy.

Where did Kristoff post? I didn't realize your diabetes was that bad. Want to hear something funny? I knew a girl who used one once and I thought it was a pager lmao. I thought to myself "God, who uses beepers these days?" lol.

Whoops. Posted the wrong name. It has been edited. And, my diabetes is not bad by any measure; and for good reason ;). Unchecked diabetes for 15±years = not good. And, my point was made in jest, although not very well.

I guess I was trying to say that I value both sides of the coin/discussion. I'm fine with using science and medicene and will be fine continuing to do so for hopefuly 60 more years. However, quality of life is what I'm conceerned about; and, if there ever comes a day, I'll pull the plug so fast (at least I hope I am able to do so); but again, that's not because of my disagreement with science, medicene, etc.

xvart.

My mom has an autoimmune disease,her thyroid is gone she'd be dead without the synthetic and animal based thyroid mix. Now she is mostly natural I only get form over the counter pain killer if I've gotten teeth pulled or something. No medications unless it is really needed like your life is /could be in danger. No cough meds or whatever. She uses herbs and homeopathics they do help but they have a defined place. I do get annoyed when people take all these meds(for various non life threatening) for certain reasons when the root cause is buried(that can(sometimes) be fixed with a easy means). But severe allergies that impact your daily life all the time and such thats another story.
Now I've heard a real story of families that refuse to give their child who had a diabetic attack insulin she died. They didn't believe in western medicine at all. Now thats ignorance.
You could go on and say that antibiotics are natural but if they are used enough for simplistic ailments then you get resistances and all those "wonderfull" problems(stronger bacteria stains,use of of antibiotics for everything). Even though it is natural it's not meant to be in your body but it has a great place in medicine.
And hopefully I won't get flamed...

Why do you get annoyed? Even if you think it's stupid, it should bother you. Not your body.

No reason anyone will flame you. And I believe it's illegal to refuse western medication for your child for any religious or personal reasons of the parent.

Somehow they did,I dunno why or how.
I don't get anoyed for say but for instance(this is my reason mostly)
the use of antibiotics has been so excessive that bacterial strains have become more vigorous and deadly. Because of the minimal education in some aspects that usage of antibiotics should be reserved for certain reasons, not just for a cold or cough(people can get access to them easily typically). I realize cold and cough medicines do not have them normally, but many times people will get a form of antibiotics for other (petty is a better word)simplistic ailments. I wouldn't care if bacteria would just die and not build up resistance but thats not the current case. It doesn't bother me kinda gives me a feeling of why the crap are you taking all these antibiotics and stuff for the simple cough ? !
I don't really care just wish there was more public awareness on the subject of meds.

The truth is I don't care if I do more damage than good by getting antibiotics when I don't HAVE to have them. I care about me, not everyone else. Sorry, but that's the truth.

Petty ailments like my acne. I take Doxycycline for it, and it works. But I don't care if I'm developing more resistant strains of acne, all I care about is nice skin. Screw everyone else. Let them have the acne. The public is aware of this issue, they just don't care. Hell, even I asked my doc for a script for Amoxicillin when I was perfectly healthy for the next time I got sick, and he gave it to me without question. They are used to much, but I'm selfish and don't really care.

I mean... I'm blunt about it lol.

But I don't care if I'm developing more resistant strains of acne,

Acne is genetic, but its still caused by "normal" bacteria (among other things, like pressure).

I didn't say anything about fasting ...
I understand what your saying thats just me not anyone else :)
Blunts fine I'm used to it :D Thats fine I'm not like crazy about it and all.
Just tossing out an opinion.
w.

I didn't say you did lol. I was skimming the topic earlier and someone mentioned the word fasting. If anyone wants to fast, cool....but fasting when you're sick (especially if you have cancer) is going to worsen your condition.

you just proved what i meant mate... you cant prove that chemo/radiation has helped people...

That's pure fallacy. It's as provable as any medical fact. Isolated cancer cells die when exposed to a proper chemo treatment. Period. They also die when they're kept in samples of healthy tissue and treated, and in countless live test subjects. A lot of animals and people suffered, endured and died so that we could learn how to use chemo for the targeted destruction of cancer cells. Yes, chemo makes you ill while you're exposed to it - but it also destroys tumors, and tumors can and do make people sick. You can construct some elaborate pathological cases where someone has cancer, gets chemo and their life doesn't improve, but very often it does and you cannot deny that the cancer going away is a part of it.
Sure, chemo isn't a boy-genius superhero who goes back in time to keep you from being exposed to carcinogens, or to alter your parent's DNA so that you don't inherit genetic cancer factors. But really, what is it that you expect? I can't help but suspect that your definition of "helped people" is very different from mine.
~Joe

Chemo works great for some cancers, such as Hodgkin's Disease, which it cures most of the time. Chemo can provide extra time for people with some other cancers and does absolutely nothing for other cancers. The same holds for radiation therapy. That's why you have to be specific instead of talking broadly of "chemo", "radiation" or "cancer".

As for the graph JLAP posted a couple pages back, part of that is because of better screening. If people are diagnosed with incurable cancer only after symptoms arise, they might have a very short time left. Screening might detect their cancers much earlier and, even if treatment is completely ineffective, the statistics will show they survived longer after diagnosis. Only because they were diagnosed earlier.

The wave of the future will be in probiotics and immunotherapy. Not just for chronic conditions such as cancer, but also for dealing with our infectious little friends who are rapidly becoming resistant to antibiotics. For instance, the western medicine cabinet has almost run out of things to throw at gonorrhea. We need all the help we can get and have to be open to whatever other medical traditions have to offer. We also have to get a lot smarter about health and environment.

you just proved what i meant mate... you cant prove that chemo/radiation has helped people...

My father is still alive and very healthy. Four years ago he was diagnosed with cancer and underwent surgery and chemotherapy. Now he's fine.

General thread guideline and reminder:

The plural of "anecdote" is not "data".

Back