What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gimmie-Gimmie sydrome

Good point, Nate!

But given the number of replies on many of the Grow Lists obviously people aren't reading the Grow List section rules either:

Not sure what that has to do with this topic lol (other than not following rules) but I've deleted/merged posts in that forum to be one post per person.. and replies will no longer work. (for author or others) Everyone must use the edit button to update their growlist and just add the updated date to the top rather than replying to themselves (only a few people replied to themselves anyway). so back on topic ??? :p LOL

now people instead of typing their gimmie, you just made it easier...

Copy/

If you ever have giraffe plant divisions available and are open to trading would you mind giving me a holler? Do not know if I have anything (Hippo or otherwise) that may interest you but if not I may be able to track something down through my networks

Paste/

now people instead of typing their gimmie, you just made it easier...

Copy/

If you ever have giraffe plant divisions available and are open to trading would you mind giving me a holler? Do not know if I have anything (Hippo or otherwise) that may interest you but if not I may be able to track something down through my networks

Paste/

Yes well, couple things on that....

The first is that (as I mentioned) the context on that one is quite a bit more informal that you would want an "out of the blue" type message to be. I cited it because it still illustrates the basic principles that ought to be recognized. I would never fire that off to someone I had no prior contact with as an opener for communication.

And second, not everyone has quite as extensive a network as I have so their ability to "track something down" could be markedly reduced.

This also raises another point. Do not offer things you do not have in your possession at the moment you propose the trade. Something like:

"Would you be willing to trade a giraffe plant for a hippo plant?" Should not then evolve into

"If you send me a giraffe plant now then I'll send you a hippo plant next year. I do not have a hippo plant right now but I know in a year I can get one for sure."

I may have been kicking around the discussion forum for 4.5 years and do update my grow list but I just can't be the only one perusing the list! I've had a few teens, ones I had never established a rapport with, PM me for "newbie packages" and very demanding at that.

My collection is mostly one of this and two of that - variety. I don't specialize in anything, so when I send a plant out (other than some of the Mexican pings), I may only have one or two other plants left. I am a far cry from having like 66 species to give or trade away!

i dont think ive updated my growlist in over a year........

actually when it comes down to it i dont put much in the trade forum for 4 reasons.

1. like jimscott i dont tend to have alot of any one plant

2. when i do have extras of something i generally let those who have sent me stuff in the past as a gift know first so i can return the favor.......

3. my list of what im looking for tends to be short and i know in general who has what i want and what ive got that they dont and are looking for so i tend to go to the source instead of posting in the trade forum and asking therethough as a few have found out if i decide i want something no matter how common, ive got no issue trading a couple rare utrics for an S. purp........

4. i tend to piss newbies off.......most anyone who has done much trading with me generally knows i work 50 hour weeks(likely more now that the wife suckered me into a second job with her) have two kids at the house, and after 26 years of living in a small town in the middle of nowhere i tend to run on my own time schedule and am generally not in a hurry to do much of anything including getting plants sent out....add that to early fall is hunting season and in the spring after a long cold winter im more interested in being outside working in the yard than in the basement taking divisions and cuttings.......if i tell yah im going to send yah something you can bet on it being yours cause i generally toss a tag in the pot to remind me...but my set up is such that i rarely HAVE to look in on it...and when it comes down to it i dont know when the next time im going to be working in there to do the divisions and or cuttings...course as a result i dont insist anyone ship plants to me before i ship to them unless i dont know them from the forums very well...newbies and those used to living a faster pace of life have a hard time swallowing this......

I just remembered another story I want to share... A new member contacted a "regular" member and requested (more so demanded) a newbie type package... The regular member agreed, and then the person decided to make a list of what he needed from the regular. For the cost of shipping 15 plants and leaf cuttings (mostly pings) were sent out to this newbie. 2 weeks later a PM finally arrived to the regular from the newbie. But was it a "thanks"? No. Was it even a "Everything arrived well."? no. It was a notice letting the regular know that one of the leaves didn't strike, and he was requesting the regular resend that leaf! The regular contacted me because he was worried he could be put on the bad traders list or something if he got reported. I assured him he would not be... and how appalling the newbies manners were.
It's pretty bad when someone fears being reported to the bad traders list because they sent out some FREE plants/cuttings to a newbie. *sigh*

as a few have found out if i decide i want something no matter how common, ive got no issue trading a couple rare utrics for an S. purp........
Are you jabbing at me? :p :jester:

Good thing I'm entirely too mean to have newbies demanding things from me lol.
That, and I don't think most people like LLs.

what i didnt mention names....you have a guilty conscience or something? :grin:

LOL nope- you offered something and I accepted it. :) but you did use mine as an example :glare: or did you trade S. purp for a couple utrics to more people? huh? HUH??!! :offtopic: :-))

still got it....it even flowered........

Andy touches on a good point about trade etiquette-let people know when your package arrives. It is just polite.

I traded with someone on a different forum and then emailed back and forth for a bit. We did another trade or two and one day I decided to thin the collection and send a package out of the blue with a bunch of stuff not on his/her growlist. I heard nothing back. For a long time.

I have not been in contact with this person since.

One time years back a member told me they were gonna "turn me in to terraforums" if I didn't send them a plant! ha ha! I didn't bother to contact Andrew about it cos it was so rediculous.

Well, Swords; we are still "investigating" that, so be on the lookout!

I know Philcula doesn't like posting pictures because people bug him. That's really unfortunate, because his pictures are AMAZING.

I know! The satisfaction of seeing his (and others) pictures that they choose to share is enough of a trade for me. It really is disappointing because it discourages awesome collections from being "shared" over the internet via pictures. No doubt it took time, energy, and friendly conversations to grow such a phenomenal collection.

Cool! But given the number of replies on many of the Grow Lists obviously people aren't reading the Grow List section rules either:

Whenever I click "new posts" and see someone else responded to a growlist I immediately remove it. I have never gone back to view the "older" growlists, but I guess Andy took care of that!

xvart.

I'm sorry to revive this thread, but I think it bears repeating if not *sticky*-ing. I've seen some rude "I want you to send me some of your plant now" posts *and* personal PM's lately, and I really don't want to be in a bad mood when I'm on this forum. In fact, I come here to get into a good mood with all the awesome people and their pretty plant pics, and not to see pestering on a daily basis!

been happening as long as ive been here...have yet to see anything that will stop it.....just tell them to take a flying leap.....

I've been guilty of this a few times... now, if I see a plant I like, I will always offer anything off my growlist in a possible trade, and if it doesn't work out, it doesn't work out.

possible solution is to explicitly state that you arent doing unsolicited ROAKs on your growlist---that way, you can point them there.

it's either that or reduce your growlist detail to only contain vfts, S. purpurea, D. capensis and D. spatulata....do that though, and you miss out on plenty of propagation opportunities like seed grown petiolaris species dews or neps or stuff like that. yeah, the first option is much better---i like it so much that im going to do that right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
a serious offer to trade has never bugged me, well unless yah catch me on a bad day....."gimmes" arent tolerated very well though.....

Back