What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gimmie-Gimmie sydrome

its funny cuz i feel uncomfortable asking someone even if they say they have extras. id much rather buy or trade for a plant. I know thats a bit dumb but better to be like this than the other polar extreme up there^^ complaining about the box costing a few bucks? thats just slimey

I feel a desire to move this back to the top. There are murmurings about eager fingers and sticky e-mails.

Is there a way we can sticky this?

Yup - never hurts to remind folks of the general TF trading guidelines - it's easy for a newbie to miss them and start spamming the trade forum with all kinds of freebie requests.

While it's true that you may not be 'individually' responsible to police actions on TF, we are all collectively accountable & responsible for the type of community we create (or allow to be created) here on Terra. Much better to try & gently push people in the right direction when poor behaviors are first observed than trying to correct a larger problem later ...

Thanks for the reminder Mr. za

~Edit~,
Your assumption that there was no reason for the bump might want to be revisited with a simple visit over to the most-obvious forum for a perusal of the recent submissions. Even if this wasn't obvious to those of us with under 2700 posts, this thread is a good reminder in general to help those who have a significant ongoing onslaught of unsolicited freebie requests. It also serves to remind us all what the forum could easily become without community vigilance.

Gimmie all your rare plants 4 free

k thnkzbai

Oops, we missed a year.

Just a friendly reminder that while asking for free plants a bunch of times is a faux pas, also asking to buy or trade for plants after a clear and stern no has been issued is also not endearing.

But I really want them, and I deserve them! That is after all the new American way. Just get congress to pass a law saying "all your plant are belong to us!"

But I really want them, and I deserve them! That is after all the new American way. Just get congress to pass a law saying "all your plant are belong to us!"

:-))

To put it in the simplest terms, the generosity of this community is an opportunity. And different people see this opportunity in different ways. When I got here I was looking for a bit of advice, and was frankly stunned by the sheer amount of, to me at the time, rare and exotic plants. My initial feelings were that I wished I had something to offer to deserve a piece of this generosity. Sadly too many people feel they were born deserving it. All a person can do is figure out what their personal beliefs are about what constitutes "deserving", and then live their beliefs. In my personal opinion there are people here who enable the giveaway gang as I call them, by not being as selective as I am. But while I disagree with this and dislike the effect it has upon the community, I respect their right to do with their stuff as they see fit. I've just about reached the point where I give away more than I receive, at least in terms of numbers. On the whole that is. There are certain members that I doubt I'll ever truly feel I have an equal relationship with in terms of plants. But I know what I'm doing when I give plants away, and I know they do too. My takeaway from this is that I obviously have something else to offer that they appreciate besides plants. And to me that's what being a contributing member of the community is all about.

Last edited:
I’ve been on this website for two weeks, and earlier today, I got a pm from a random person who demanded that I “hand over my entire stash of a. vesicolusa or else!” What in the world?!??

[MENTION=13994]DaFloof[/MENTION] send me a screenshot of that please.

I already deleted it. I purge all of my private messages twice a day. Sorry. I also cannot for the life of me remember who it was from. I swear to god that I am not lying. This is a serious thing and I know that, and will try to remember as much as I can.

[MENTION=13994]DaFloof[/MENTION] Then forward the email notification of the private message to the email I gave you yesterday.

I don’t get email notifications, I didn’t even know that you could get email notifications for private messages.

[MENTION=13994]DaFloof[/MENTION]
Yes you do. I can see the setting in your account that you have it active (it is on by default) so go to the email you used to sign up and there will be email notifications there. In each one is a copy of the PM. Forward that message to me please.
(You can see the setting by going to the settings page on the left under "my account" click "general settings" then you'll find "Email notification of new private messages" and "receive email notification of new private messages" is selected.

It is not working. I am failing badly, and I am very sorry, but I don’t think I’ll be able to find it.

[MENTION=13994]DaFloof[/MENTION] how does it "not work"? You just recently signed up, and you verified that email and then replied to it to get your account activated. So I know that my emails reach you and you're able to see them. The PM notification email comes from the exact same system as the registration system. Please do not make me get into the server logs and find it that way. (I've just downloaded the log, but I really REALLY don't feel like looking through it.) Please check the emails and forward it to me. Thanks.

I just don’t understand any of this. I’m sorry.

[MENTION=13994]DaFloof[/MENTION] Go to your email that you registered with. Find all the emails you have with the title "New Private Message at TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk" from "Andrew@terraforums.com" "TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk" find the one that has the PM you're speaking of with the threat and forward it to me. You know what email you used, right? Or do you need a reminder?
Thanks

I just checked. I will pm you who did it.

I’ve been on this website for two weeks, and earlier today, I got a pm from a random person who demanded that I “hand over my entire stash of a. vesicolusa or else!” What in the world?!??

This sounds like a manufactured drama to me. Proof or it didn't happen.

Back