What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WARNING for ebay sellers...

If you sell stuff on ebay like I do, things just got crappier...

I went to leave feedback on my recent auctions (actually buys not sales) and a notice popped up that sellers can no longer leave negative feedback for buyers. Say someone wins your auction and decides they aren't going to pay up, you have to leave these crappy buyers alone so they can waste more people's time instead of being able to leave them bad feedback and warn others they're a no-pay buyer or are one of those people who will leave bad feedback even when they've received their item.

What a racket.:censor:

That's really stupid. Can you email ebay and tell them why this is a bad idea? Maybe they'll think about it and change it back? There are jerks out there, so why not let them be seen? This way they'll just keep getting away with it.

ebays just gotten so, crappy it used to be halfway decent.

That really is an unfortunate action that eBay has taken. But it does help to do away with sellers holding good buyer's feedback hostage. I hate when sellers do that.

Too bad eBay is now the only game in town. I remember the "good 'ol days" of Yahoo Auctions and other sites... Other places where you could do your business if eBay didn't suit your tastes.

Oh well, such is progress.............

Ebay used to be fine until they started meddling with it 18 months or so ago.

The detailed seller rating are pointless because everybody always gives high marks.

Yeah the rating system is a crock of crap anyway. If you want a good rating system you need to have like a 10 point system or something.

What, will negative feedback hurt their feelings or something? Oh-come-ON!

Down with Ebay

:censor:

Darn :( I have 10 all positive. There giving the buyers all the power and ripping sellers.
I've sold stuff a 100,000 volt tesla coil and some old video games . And have boughten all kinds of random stuff. Ebay going down hill they could die they just need a competitor that looks at ebay's downfalls. It is not fun since they charge through the nose for ebay fees thats like 8% then paypal then the $1.50 fee for that..
Makes me sick.

Personally, I can understand where this came from. First of all, I must say, I am the best ebay buyer there is, paying within minutes of winning whatever auction I may have won. I had a deadbeat seller though, who never shipped the book I ordered. After I contacted him through ebay (half.com) and his personal email with no response, waiting a week or two later to see if the book just got caught in the mail, I gave the guy negative feedback. A week later, I got smacked back with negative feedback from him, saying, "unfair feedback, i did not know there was a problem, no email no nothing."

Now, you might say, "maybe he didn't receive your emails." But I can assure you he did. I applied for a refund through half.com (a branch of ebay used for selling books), and in order for that to occur, you have to have proof that you contacted the seller, and half.com contacts them as well. I really didn't deserve that negative feedback, and only received it because I gave the deadbeat negative feedback. No way to clear it, I just have to live with it. So I guess in making it so that sellers can't give negative feedback protects good buyers like me from having to worry about giving negative feedback to deadbeat sellers. What is worse, being a seller and not being able to send away your sale, or sending in your money and not getting anything for it? I think it is more important to be a responsible seller then a responsible buyer. Guaranteed, a bad buyer can be annoying, but a bad seller can run away with your money.

I think I read that if you have a buyer that doesn't pay and leaves negative feedback, you can get the feedback taken off somehow. You're just stuck with a temporary negative.

The real problem I can see is people with private feedbacks going around and leaving negatives for fun. I doubt it will happen, but sellers would never know until they're hit with a negative.

Personally, I'd be more than willing to take my business to another eBay-like site that doesn't pocket so much of my money. But there just doesn't seem to be any decent alternatives, at least not that I know of.

Yes there have been many changes to ebay that happened a few months ago. You should reread all buyers and sellers rules to get up to date. Personally, I have felt the need to leave negative feedback to some sellers. The unprofessional ones have sometimes left me retaliatory negative feedback along with a message something along the lines of them accidentally clicking negative instead of positive, and that if I withdraw my negative all will be corrected. People like that are to blame for the inadequate changes in ebay. Just be careful who you buy from and you wont end up contacting state and local government agencies to resolve issues like Ive done.

The whole things sucks. 96% is a terrible score to have on ebay and you shouldn't buy from them, despite 96 being such a high number.

Now most people will have 98 - 100% scores and you won't know who's good and who's bad.

I had an issue very similar to DaveyJones. A seller said he sent me my item but after 2 weeks it didn't arrive. After repeated attempts to contact him, he finally responded & said he would send a 2nd item. More weeks go by & I didn't receive anything. Once again, he doesn't respond to many emails (I suspect that he was busy & never sent anything both times as he was very willing to offer a refund). Finally, in frustration, I ask for a refund and submit a negative review. Within an hour, I had my 1st negative feedback. An hour or so after that, he submits an offer to remove his feedback if I remove mine.

Basically he held my perfect rating hostage to ensure I wouldn't impact his - even though he deserved it. Since eBay ratings are so important, after much pondering, I gave in and accepted his offer. I don't know what the correct answer is but evidently many sellers have been holding buyers hostage in the same manner... :censor:

Yes, paying immediately is the best thing any buyer can do. Most of my buys are buy it now cos I'm too impatient to wait a week for an auction to end.

If you get a refund there's no reason to leave a negative feedback, that's actually pretty crummy. The seller is the one who's eating the cost for non-paying bidders, listing fees, final value fees.

I always wait for buyers to leave feedback on their item before I do, now theres no point.

If you get a refund there's no reason to leave a negative feedback

I totally disagree. Even though I got a refund, I still feel I need to warn other people that this seller is a potential deadbeat. If I had known beforehand that I would be getting the shaft and would have to wait around, go through the trouble of applying for a refund, waiting, etc., I would definitely not have made my purchase through that seller. Even though I got a refund, the seller still did not live up to his end of the bargain, and definitely does not deserve to be provided positive feedback.

I've had a few book sellers totally space and loose the book they were supposed to send me, they apologized and sent me a refund in the same few minutes. For those two I just didn't leave any feedback at all I didn't see a need to ruin their score over a simple error I could very well make myself sometime. If it were intentional, that would be far different IME.

I've only left maybe 2 negatives as a buyer in all my ebaying years (received no negs) One was a girl who kept saying she was sending my plants but after the 90 days feeback window was about to close then I posted taht after many emails she still never sent the plants. Can't recall the other but I remember the damn thing finally came just after I left bad feedback, I felt bad about it then. However I don't feel bad leaving negatives on people who bid big amounts on something then not pay up. I'd like to go crazy bidding on everything I like and then not pay up too but it's not fair to the seller or the honest buyers who loose out because of some JA teenager.

If you get a refund there's no reason to leave a negative feedback, that's actually pretty crummy.
Well I guess we'll agree to disagree.

The item I ordered was time sensitive (I needed it in a fairly short period of time) & he lied to me twice that he actually sent it to me. I'd agree with you if he was responsive to my emails and came clean instead of being lame & lying.

Additionally, the auction ended with my winning the item for a low price - much lower than any of the others up for sale at the time.

His actions caused me to be delayed in getting the item for over a month and at a much higher cost than originally agreed. I should have provided good feedback for this???

Ironically, a few months later, I had a seller on half.com tell me their listed book was out of stock (after I purchased it for their asking price). Instead of selling it to me for the price they listed, they relisted it for a price $20 higher. Same rare book, same seller - relisted the next day at a higher price. Based on my previous experience, I did not leave any feedback - but that doesn't mean I didn't feel ripped off... :headwall:

I always wait for buyers to leave feedback on their item before I do, now theres no point.

That's called "feedback extortion", or more accurately "holding feedback hostage".

Once a winning bidder/buyer pays in a timely manner a feedback rating should be issued and then you ship the item. Of course there is no way that eBay can enforce this but that's the nature of the beast I suppose. (and now we no longer have that problem ;))

*I rarely have to leave negative feedback anyway. Most of the time a bad experience is simply left as Neutral.

Back