What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Telemarketer assistance

• Thread starter RL7836
  • Start date
Since the creation of the national "Do-not-call" list, calls from telemarketers have dropped dramatically. However, I still get several per week. Typically they are 'robocallers' (recorded message directing me to press 1, etc).

Sometimes, responding to the call and requesting to be removed from their calling list works. Sometimes they keep calling. In order to turn them in, I need either their phone number or a valid company name. So far, I have been unable to get either from any of the callers. As soon as I start asking any questions, no matter how nice I am (or how interested I act), they hang up.

Apparently, these companies know the rules, know they are breaking them, but also know that they cannot get caught if they don't provide a real company name or phone number. Am I missing something or am I just destined to live with these calls? Any suggestions?

caller ID......havent listed to a one since ive gotten caller ID....if its blocked i dont pick up :grin:

It's easy to figure out who is calling you. You have to be as sneaky and smart as they are.

What ever they are selling, agree to buy. Be as friendly as you can and act like you are interested in their product. Then just ask for a name of the company, Phone number , name and address of the bank that they do business, website to get info about them. They should have no problem giving at least one of these if they are a reputable business.

Don't act like you are trying to find out who they are, instead make them spend their time selling their product to you and then act like you just want to make sure they are not a scam.

This is a tactic that a lot of salemans use. After they invest 30 mins of their time they will do almost anything to complete the sale.

Caller ID doesn't help. It's easy enough to spoof (sending false) Caller-ID. I get calls on my cell phone at least once a month from the same "Diane' wanting to clean my carpets. The number is different each time and is an out of service number if you call it.

If you try to scam them back by agreeing or showing interest in their service in attempt to get more information then you've established a prior relationship with them which makes it ok for them to call despite the no-call list or cellular number.

It's easy to figure out who is calling you. You have to be as sneaky and smart as they are.

What ever they are selling, agree to buy. Be as friendly as you can and act like you are interested in their product. Then just ask for a name of the company, Phone number , name and address of the bank that they do business, website to get info about them. They should have no problem giving at least one of these if they are a reputable business.
This is what I've been trying to do. These people are obviously not reputable businesses & they know they are breaking the law.

I just don't understand how they get any business at all. Are people so gullible that they're willing to give them credit card & other personal info w/o even having contact info for the business?? What it came down to was they wanted me to provide this info without them providing anything. When I started to ask how I could do business with them if I couldn't even call them back - they hang up...

They must get the same people that fell for that old email with the African government person who needed help to transfer a large quantity of money... ???

Back