What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Natural?

Nepenthes bicalcarata x ampullaria- does this happen in the wild naturally?

is this a hybrid?

can one strain pollinate with another strain of the same species and create a new strain naturally?

does anyone know of any books or webpages about this i would not know where to start?

Yep, it's a natural hybrid.
I don't know what you mean by "strains". All Nepenthes are interfertile (though some in diminished quality/quantity of seed: ventricosa x spathulata i.e. IIRC).

interfertile?

A strain would be a plant with a certain trait that, when self-pollenated, would yield offspring with the same trait 100% of the time. If a strain of plants pure for yellow flowers got interbred with a strain of plants pure for red flowers, 100% of the offspring would show the dominant trait, which we'll say is red flowers. red- flowered offspring wouldn't be pure though, and if self pollinated would yield 3:1 red flowered:yellow flowered offspring. So it wouldn't really be a "strain." I might be wrong though! Why do you ask?
I am such a nerd...
Try searching for "mendelean genetics"

Interfertile means when any two nepenthes really love each other, one being male the other female, they decide to have nepenthes love. Nepenthes don't care about their differences, when it comes love. Because in the end, they're just desperate for anything! Soon after that special moment, the male grows tired of the female and starts looking for other things to do, such as bother his grower by producing smaller leaves for no reason at all. Meanwhile, the female nepenthes produces tons of seeds! Which soon after, are quickly wisked away by the ebay stork and sold to people all over the world!

heh... sorry it's Friday and I'm bored. lol

i ask because its really confusing and i dont really understand it even though i would like too. anyone have anything to add? thansk for the help

8) in all seriousness though can anyone explain that more scientifically or is there a webpage somewhere for this, even a recommended book?

I mean I don't understand why the word strain would be used with regard to a normal species or natural hybrid. Doesn't make sense to me.

Anyway, interfertile means any species can breed with any other species. Google interfertile to found out more about it. To find out why there isn't an abundance of hybrids around, look up "dioecious", "pre-zygotic hybridization barriers", and you know, some of that other stuff (like male:female sex ratio).

It kinda is that simple though, there isn't much to nepenthes hybrids...

A natural hybrid just means they grow close to each other in the wild and will 'naturally' mingle among each other, so you may see that hybrid running around in the wild along with the parent nepenthes as well.

phission i may have used the wrong words????

i am starting to understand this a little better

are all Nepethes interfertile?

can nepenthes clones reproduce?

are they the same sex as the host?

do they have a sex?

1. Most can
2. yes, if you take a cutting of something and root them the new plants will be the same sex as the mommy.
3. yes, unless it's very badly mutated.

Back