What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Look what I just found on my carpet

Yeah before I knew they were Solifuges, I knew them as "wind scorpions" because of how fast they run.

look at the horrific videos of these demons
LOL! They are pretty terrifying looking, but I've only ever run into one once. Hopefully it was the first and last time.

When I lived in Louisiana I found a Brown widow one time in my garage she was scary and big I wished I had a camera at the time we killed it. =\

I do like garden spiders since despite their size they don't bite like most spiders so I leave them be.

Hi Phil

I remember that you like spiders. I know the Argiopes are harmless but they get so big! It creeps me out. lol In my garden, I saw another huge spider that I didn't know what it was. It had a fat round abodomen. It was just a little ways from the orb. I felt like I was in Texas! I couldn't get a good pic of the round one but here are a couple of pics of the orb. If she had spread out, she would have spanned my entire hand. I think she was the biggest I've ever seen. After seeing her and the other spider, I abandoned my weeding plans... Look at the size of that spinneret!

Another denizen of my garden that I had a very unpleasant encounter with was this pretty fellow. They STING! And it hurts! A saddleback catepillar. You don't want to bump up against this guy (they are usually underneath a leaf where you can't see 'em).

Besides those nasty house centipedes, we get a lot of those tiny little jumping spiders. I've never seen one devouring another insect, but they don't bother me and stay small, so I don't squish them like any other insect I see in the house.

2"?

Dude, that's a berber carpet. Based on the size of the knots in that carpet, it wasn't over 1.5" - which is still a pretty big spider. But let's not our surprise supersize the bugger.

Look what I found in my tub.

Look what I found in my tub. These always want to take a shower with me for some reason...

About the circumference of a nickel, mostly all brown, not a web making type of spider.

Species?

i found a at least 5 blkack widos over the month of may.

lol wtf, its probably fake..... there's no way its fake..... dude there's no way a centipede could eat a mouse... i mean... mammal>insect.... right???

a centipede can easily kill a mouse and they do it all the time in the wild

killing it is one thing, but eating it.....

Glad to finally know that "house centipede" is the real name. I HATE those sons of b*$#%&s, but if they eat the bad guys...maybe I'll think twice about serving one to a nep the next time I see one. I doubt it, but maybe. Is your spider being happily digested?

edit: just read a neat article on them. I won't pretend to like them, but I think I'll let 'em go if they're just in the bathtub or something.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/133492/house_centipedes_your_best_friend_for.html

^LOL, they named it Father Christmas. :-))

Back