What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

pics of previous NASC auction winners

Figured with this years auction just a few days away it would be a good time to start a thread for posting pics

I'll start off with my prize from the 2007 auction:
nasc2007.jpg

Av

Great idea, Av. I know everyone has been wanting to see an update of the most cherished prize from last year's auction; so, despite ruining the anticipation and suspense of how my treasured prize I'll go ahead and give an update.

And yes, this will be up for auction again; so start saving up!

Spam001.jpg

Spam004.jpg

xvart.

:puke:

My wife never forgave me for donating her can of Spam, so I'm glad you posted a photo of it looking so well. I'm sure it'll outlast all of us.

You should list it again this year. You won't have to worry about me bidding on it.

I dont like spam

:0o:

AN ODE TO SPAM(tm)

Oh SPAM(tm)! Oh SPAM(tm)! Gourmet delight!
My food by day, my dreams by night.
To carve, to slice, to dice you up -
pureed in a blender and sipped from a cup.

What shining deity from Olympus knelt
down to the earth and hog butt smelt?
Creating then man's eternal desire
for swine entrails congealed by fire.

On some corporate farm, a pig has died.
Eyes, tongue, and snout end up inside
that cube of SPAM(tm) hidden in the can
I now hold in my trembling hand.

More than mere food, SPAM(tm) is for me
a hedonistic expression of gluttonous glee.
Mottled with pork fat, the pink cube engrosses.
My mouth takes it in, my intestine disposes.

Long have my arteries clogged to the sound
of sizzling SPAM(tm) when there's no one around -
furtively chewing or swallowing whole.
Triple bypass by forty, my medical goal.

Other processed meat products I've tried or declined
Vienna Sausages, Treet, even pig's feet in brine.
Though each may be tasty in different ways,
none matches SPAM(tm) for gelatinous glaze.

That glistening pinkness beckons me
with gristle, fat, and BHT.
Oh SPAM(tm), my SPAM(tm) - the taste, the smell!
The sacred meat product, from Hormel.

Isn't winning back the Spam kind of like remarrying the ex? It's time to move on to other canned meat-like products, once again looking for that perfect match.

I would like to buy some hot sauce or some nepenthes or drosera :D

Bruce, I'd like to introduce you (and your wife) to my friend.

canburger.jpg

And yes, they actually do make them.

And yes, this will be up for auction again; so start saving up!

Is the Spam going to become a NASC tradition? lol That would be awesome!

JC...tsk tsk. You missed a "Schloaty Opportunity" for a bad pun...

One can only hope.

CAN only hope?? Arr arr arr!! *wink wink*

More about spam in this topic than plants. lol

BTW...is that drool on the T-shirt??!

Is the Spam going to become a NASC tradition? lol That would be awesome!

Only time will tell. Actually my only intention of ever bidding on it was to relist it this year. Then good ole Andrew jacked the price up!

JC...tsk tsk. You missed a "Schloaty Opportunity" for a bad pun...

CAN only hope?? Arr arr arr!! *wink wink*

lol. I wish I could say I wrote that with the intention of someone clever coming along and catching my witty pun... But since I didn't, all I can say is: Arrrrrgh...

BTW...is that drool on the T-shirt??!

lol. Actually it's sweat. I just got done running and was cooling down when I saw this post. Don't worry, it might get washed before I mail it to the lucky winner.

More about spam in this topic than plants. lol

Let's change that. I'll post some of last year's listings and pictures and hopefully that will inspire some of the winners to show us updates on how the plants are doing while also showing the diversity of listings for the new members.

xvart.

Here's the first batch of last year's listing. Please remember that this is only a small sampling of items that were generously donated by the Terraforums community. Hopefully this will give you a taste of the quality and diversity of plants offered. There were also many starter kits and other more common plants offered. Truly something for everyone!

This auction is for one batch of my special habenero hot sauce.

HOT HOT HOT!

Starting bid, $3 - about 4 oz.

I pay shipping.

GO!

Mmmmm... This was a hot item! (Did you get catch that one, PAK?!)

Here is one pack of Nepenthes aristolochioides x Viking seeds.

Here is a photo of the mother; I do not own the father.

N_aris2.jpg

Bidding starts at $4.00 buyer pays shipping of $1.00. The seeds will be shipped in padded envelopes to prevent damage.

-Jeremiah-

This auction is for one rooted cutting of N. bicalcarata, the Fanged Tropical Pitcher Plant. This plant seems to be in short supply, but I was able to make two divisions earlier this year, and am offering the larger of the two. It has not started making pitchers since it was separated from the mother plant, but has a six-inch-plus leaf span, and is looking good!

Let's shoot high here. I'll pay shipping if the winning bid is over $40, or the winner can pay shipping if the winning bid is less than $40.

Remember that all your bids help to SUPPORT THE NASC!

Good Growing,

Mike

Up for auction is Dionaea muscipula 'Cupped Trap'. Buyer pays shipping, shipped bareroot. I will add pictures soon. Starting bid $1! Blooming Size.
DSC00574.jpg

How could we forget the mystery dew?!
Droseraguy offered a free mystery dew with with one of his auctions so it gave me the idea to offer one up for bid.

I'll give hints to this mystery dew, but I will not give it's true ID until it is received by the winner. If you can ID this from the description then please don't post it and ruin it for everybody else.

The mystery dew's typical height is about 6 inches high. I have seen some as high as about 15 inches. The usual variety is all green. I have seen a black variety but I didn't really like it that much. Native to mountainous areas. This dew is very sticky. If you get it on your skin, your skin will remain sticky until you wash it off.

The mystery dew that you are bidding on is approximately 12 inches high and as big around as an orange.

This is a very typical dew. Not even remotely rare. Remember, this is for charity, so bid accordingly. If this auction gets above $15 I will throw in a location data D.capillaris. From the ditch beside my house.

I will pay for shipping if you make a $5 donation to NASC, paid with your auction payment. Otherwise shipping will be $5.

More coming...

xvart.

Some other goodies...

One mature, blooming size plant of D. filiformis filiformis 'All Red'. This plant is only found in one location growing naturally in the world and that is along the Florida panhandle (plant was grown from seed). Winner pays shipping unless the bidding exceeds $20 then I will pay it. Make it happen!

Up for auction is a large S. rubra ssp. gulfensis Ancestral Form from Crawford County, Georgia. That's right folks! We have a giant division up of an uncommon form WITH location data! And what's that?? It's not only flowering age but comes with pollinated flowers from other specimen of the same origin!

In short this plant has:

At least 5 growing points!
3 flowers that have been pollinated by other S. rubra ssp. gulfensis Ancestral Form from the same location
Extensive root system!

See the pictures for more! Feel free to PM me.

I pay shipping if bidding reaches $20
Starting bid is $5

Ancestral%20A%201.jpg

Ancestral%20A%202.jpg

This next one went for $150.
Yes, that's right...the anthocyanin-free variant of Southern Purple Pitcher Plant, S. rosea. This is NOT forma heterophylla, the antho-free Northern purpurea, and is not something that the average grower has.

This auction is for one nice two-year-old seedling, about 2.5 inches across, in a three-inch pot. I'll pay the shipping if the winning bid is over $30, or the winner can pay for shipping if the winning bid is less than $30.

SUPPORT THE NASC!!!

Good growing,

Mike

I will slash my N. x Mastersiana vine upon the end of the auction and send it out immediately. I will be a three-node cutting. Since it's fresh and unrooted, I cannot guarantee success in rooting it, but this is a pretty rare and coveted hybrid, so it's worth the effort! Here's a pic of the parent plant:

N-12.jpg

Bidding starts at $2. I'll pay shipping. PM me here with any questions.

Max

One more group to come...

xvart.

Some biggies.

I am offering a division of 'Leah Wilkerson'(pitchers at least 12"). You know you want it. Heck, everybody wants one. And, if you are saying you are waiting for it to come out in TC, well, it's not, at least for another year of two. A bid over $50 gets free shipping. If someone will guide me through Photobucket, I will post a pic. Sorry US only.

I still haven't seen that one come out of TC yet...

What is going on? What am I smoking? I'm putting up an N. hamata for auction!!! This is for the NASC people, so give generously for this little gem! Also, please only bid if you're confident you can grow an N. hamata in your conditions. This grows open air in my basement in pretty ideal highland conditions. about 52-60 degree nights, 70-82 degree days, with humidity from 50 -90% the vast bulk of the time.

N-99.jpg

N-100.jpg

I pay shipping. Opening bid..... $2. :jester:

PM me with questions.

Capslock

Hello,

This is for one large unrooted cutting of Nepenthes thorelii x aristolochioides Male. It will be a three-node cutting. Since it's fresh and unrooted, I cannot guarantee success in rooting it.

Here is a photo of the plant the cutting will be taken from.

N_thor11.jpg

Bidding starts at $4.00 buyer pays shipping of $4.60.

-Jeremiah-

Let's see some pictures of these plants and all the other plants now!

xvart.

How could we forget the mystery dew?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzy
Droseraguy offered a free mystery dew with with one of his auctions so it gave me the idea to offer one up for bid.

I'll give hints to this mystery dew, but I will not give it's true ID until it is received by the winner. If you can ID this from the description then please don't post it and ruin it for everybody else.

The mystery dew's typical height is about 6 inches high. I have seen some as high as about 15 inches. The usual variety is all green. I have seen a black variety but I didn't really like it that much. Native to mountainous areas. This dew is very sticky. If you get it on your skin, your skin will remain sticky until you wash it off.

The mystery dew that you are bidding on is approximately 12 inches high and as big around as an orange.

This is a very typical dew. Not even remotely rare. Remember, this is for charity, so bid accordingly. If this auction gets above $15 I will throw in a location data D.capillaris. From the ditch beside my house.

I will pay for shipping if you make a $5 donation to NASC, paid with your auction payment. Otherwise shipping will be $5.
Here's the pic of the mystery dew after I wrapped it up to ship. I wonder if he still has it.

Some random pics of the plants I won last year.

222389009O012087357.jpg

227096172O377249744.jpg

259977857O121893785.jpg

259978249O564885168.jpg

263705545O495778052.jpg

263705633O636497070.jpg

263707428O102610506.jpg
263707154O391164641.jpg

I won that thorelii x aristo. Then it flowered about 9 times in a row and died.

Well that's a positive note for the auction. Thanks.

I have a pic of the nep I offered last year. It went into the loving hands of Mike Howlett.

Last edited:
Back