What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pond pics, Lots and large...you've been warned

Even though my carnivorous plant collection is nothing spectacular to post pics of I figured others must have ponds too. As a result I could at least post some pictures of my pond and the fish and plants in it.

Yellow Water Lily Flower
100_0401.jpg

White Water Lily
100_0346.jpg

100_0339.jpg

100_0354.jpg

100_0358.jpg

Shubunkin
100_0361.jpg

Comet
100_0377.jpg

Sarasa Comet
100_0411-1.jpg

Another Comet, but now with more Jaw-Drop Action!
100_0375.jpg

Frog with Azolla/ Fairy Moss
100_0473.jpg

100_0432.jpg

100_0444.jpg

FRENZY!
100_0446.jpg

Pre (or post) Frenzy calm
100_0437.jpg

I LOVE your pond! I have a pond too but it's not nearly as nice as yours! How big is your pond and how many fish do you have in there? Are those Koi? I have two very large goldfish. They're the size of a large Koi. I really like your pond and I'm jealous, lol. Thanks for sharing!

I only have goldfish, no Koi. Those guys are so pricey for the ones in the color patterns I like and get so big, and apparently like to trash plants so I figured goldfish are good enough for my first pond.

I went back and labeled the pics a bit and there are now Ids as to the types of goldfish I have. I originally started with only 7 but those guys went a bit spawn crazy last spring and now I have no idea how many youngsters there are in addition to the originals. These original guys I bought are now approx 6 inches long, not counting their fin length. Yours must be huge...

The pond is sorta an irregular dumbbell shape. The pics are only of one rounded end of it. The pond is approx 6 feet long and the widest approx 3.5 feet. It has shelves that step down approx 12-18 inches per level and the deepest point is 3-3.5 feet deep...I think. I dug this a few years ago but that sounds about right to me without jumping in with a ruler.

Thanks for the complements..:blush:

nice... the frog yours too?

Very nice pond! I hope to have something like that one day. I've tried the smaller plastic ones the fit in the ground. That lasted until a hurricane came through and caused it to flood then float. I remember having to chase my little goldfish down in puddles. Any rough guesstimates on now many gallons of water it holds?

Beautiful fish as well. We have the same taste in color choices :).

Crystal

Oh ok, so they are goldfish. When we got our goldfish they were only about an inch and half long, now including their fins, they're over a foot long, but they've been in there for 5 years. We also have Leopard frogs and Bullfrogs...what kind of frog is that? I was wondering what that green snowflake looking things were on the frog :p It's a very impressive pond, I must say!

Awesome, you gots skill!

love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Beautiful pond. I was just at a friend of a friends for a "pool party" and they had a beautiful plot of land with a pool (obviously) and a pond. The pond looked terrible. I was thinking the whole time you could do some awesome stuff with that pond... Yours looks fantastic.

WHAT? No Aldrovanda? :-O - Rich

Like Jim, I was thinking the same thing!

xvart.

Im from Michigan to and heres a few of my pond pics, have to take some new ones as soon as we get a decent sunny day, i have had this pond up and running for 7yrs now and each yr we add one or 2 new plants, or flower or shrubs since the stinkin deer like to come in and lop off the tops of my shrubs. :censor: Anyways its nothing big and fancy its a 100 gal pond has had the same EXPENSIVE fancy gold fish in it for 6 yrs, i winter over my goldfish in the house, its easier for me and at that time i can check for any sickness and or probs they may have and fatten um up for spring release back into the pond. I have Giant Black Moor, HUGE Orandas and massive fany tails.
These pics were taken spring 06 just as the plants were growing up and trees leafed out.
spring06pondpicsC.jpg

spring06pondpicsD.jpg

and these were taken summer 07 what it looks like when the plants and flowers are all grown up.
gardenpondareaA.jpg

gardenpondareaB.jpg

Yes its nothing spectacular but hey its my little piece of tranquility. We gets LOADS of frogs all diffrent kinds. I will post pics of the fish and such just as soon as i find what Disc i saved the pics to..:blush:
Hummer pics,
hummerpics4043.jpg

hummerpics404.jpg

Great humming bird photo!

xvart.

A garden just isn't complete until it has a few hummingbirds visiting them on a regular basis! :D - Rich

Aww, what a nice little pond. And great hummingbird pictures. Both the ponds in this thread look so peaceful. I like sitting by my pond and reading, but it doesn't look nearly as good as both of yours. Mine probably looks like xvarts friends pond :blush:

Those are some inspirational photos and I have got to find a place to put one. The only thing is that any I make would become one of the terrible ones. Do you do anything with yours or its residents as winter approaches or does everything just overwinter in place?

That pond is awesome! Add U. gibba :p.

I like the "You show me your pond, I show you mine"...I have never tried the more expensive fish like yours. I have only stuck with the hardy single tails like comets because I leave everybody (plants and fish) outdoors overwinter to just chill under the ice.

Special seasonal care involves putting plastic poultry netting over ponds in the fall to try to cut down on all the leaves I have to fish out so they don't decay and then in winter I use a stock heater to keep a hole open in the ice for gas exchange so the fish don't all up and croak on me. Speaking of croaking..

Adorable Frog (no this one is not mine either, just another freeloader)

DSC00407.jpg

Overall view of original pond (the one all the earlier pics are from. Forgive the bit of green, I'm still waiting for the lilies to cover more area and cut down on sun and other plants to suck up more excess nutrients and get the algae a bit more under control as the season progresses. And arghh, goramn maple seed pods, CURSES!)

DSC00422.jpg

Pond 2..heheh...uhhm can I say it is addictive?

DSC00415.jpg

DSC00420.jpg

It is still a bit early so both ponds are a bit "tame" since the plants are still slowly waking up as the water warms up.

Back