What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I got a new camera today, I will post pictures that I took today with it.

Sarracenia catesbei

------------------------------------------------------------
Drosera venusta

Drosera capensis

Drosera scorpiodes

Drosera adelae flower

Drosera prolifera

NEPENTHES!!!!

Nepenthes sanguinea

Nepenthes truncata

Nepenthes ephippiata

Nepenthes hamata

I mentioned that the memory card the camera came with can only store like 10 photos and she is going to return it if there isn't a memory card that is compatible with our camera that can store more photos, at the store we got it from! I love it already it is so sleek and nice, we have 14 days if she decided to return it, I asked if I could not return it tomorrow but return it on like the 12th day if we did happen to return it but she said no. :cry:

what kinnd of memory media does it use? There is always a larger card available, thats the whole point of using external card type memory is the option of sidderent sizes and speeds. Check ebay, I was able to get a nice 8 gig card for my camera for cheap cheap cheap, and it was new. It cost literally 3/4's LESS then what any local store wanted to sell similar cars for.

It uses a SD card for storage. Also compatible with the new SDHC. SD/SDHC are VERY easy to find. Any store that carries electronics should have a number of offerings. Let it be noted, though, that many in-store memory solutions are overpriced. Probably well worth it to check out online solutions such as amazon.

Memory cards are pretty cheap these days. The one I got is 1 GB for like 15 bucks.

xvart.

yeah theres definitely no need to return the camera, and as everyone else has said do not buy it from a big store due to them being overpriced but. you do want to make sure that you dont buy offbrand cards however they can crap out and cause you to lose all that you've stored on that card and possibly damage the camera if its bad enough...

this is why its better to buy lots of smaller cards... like 1G or 2G ( 2G is my preference ) than just buying one 10G or 8G card... its always better not to keep all your eggs in one basket...
( not saying anything against those with 8 g cards :) )

the powershots are good cameras as far as sleek point and shoots go. given your photographs I'd say you need to adjust the resolution you camera is set to shoot at...you might also adjust the ISO settings... most cameras preset to 400 or 800 which is good for shooting in low light situations and allows you a quicker shutter speed's but you lose your resolution and end up with grainier photographs... if you drop that down to 200 you'll get better photographs...

if you end up with any questions just hit me up, I'm a photography major so I hope I can help

-Chris

It uses a SD card for storage. Also compatible with the new SDHC. SD/SDHC are VERY easy to find. Any store that carries electronics should have a number of offerings. Let it be noted, though, that many in-store memory solutions are overpriced. Probably well worth it to check out online solutions such as amazon.

How do I make it work, I have a 4 gig SDHC card that I couldn't get to work.
It tends to freeze up my computer and I can't seem to explore the photos that have been recorded to the card.

My computer is fine until I click or right click on the drive
MMC/SD (F:)

Sounds like your reader on the computer isn't compatible with SDHC. It's a different format than the regular SD cards.

"Products designed exclusively to support previous SD specifications 1.0 and 1.1 will not be able to utilize SDHC cards."

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-are-sdhc-cards.htm

The reader on your computer is most likely the 1.0 or 1.1 specification (most likely 1.1) and will not be able to read the SDHC. Looks like you'll have to get a new card reader now too, or use the USB to connect the camera itself to your computer.

BTW nice pictures. I wish I would have held off on getting my Lumix. The macro is terrible and pictures come out grainy if the lighting isn't bright enough. Taking pictures inside a house is out of the question unless you are in range of the very weak flash.

Crystal

Last edited:
it does that even when you hook it up through the camera? I mean the cameras direct usb link to the computer should solve that.

Hooking it up with the camera did not work either, isn't there a file I can download to like update my card reader?

wait, so the direct usb hookup didnt work how didnt it work? did it just not do anythign at all? or give you some kind of error message?

Unfortunately no. The card reader would be a hardware issue and can't be fixed with software. Your best bet is to try again with the USB. Make sure you follow your manual step by step. Getting USB to work can be tricky if you don't install the software, connect it, then turn the camera on all in the appropriate order. Your camera should have come with a CD for your computer. I'd recommend checking your manual first for USB hook up, and go from there. You most likely need to install the camera drivers on your computer so your computer knows what the camera is and what to do with it.

Crystal

I did install the software cd before connecting the camera to the computer, I am getting a cannot connect to camera error, I have tried connecting through several different USB ports.

And what OS are you running on your computer. I'm assuming it's some flavor of Windows. If it's Win98 you may need to download drivers. Newer versions of windows have the drivers already. If it's some other OS one of the others may be able to help.

I have a newer computer I am running windows XP.
I will just go back to the store and look for a SD card, the card the camera came with works it's just a problem with my computer not being able to read the SDHC card.
I will let everyone know how it goes but now I have to go mow the lawn.
Thanks for your help! :)

Sorry if I'm not following all this correctly, but did you plug in the camera directly through the USB port? If you did, did you turn the camera on?

xvart.

That's why I'm glad my laptop has a slot for an SD card built in.

yeah directly into several USB ports and I did turn the camera on. My computer does have a slot in the front for me to put camera cards in but it cannot read SDHC cards PK.
However it does read my fujifilm XD card and the Canon SD card.

Why don't you just use the SD card that you already have for the time being?

Back