What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone know anything about axes?

Does anyone know how to sharpen a Michigan double bit axe? It is from the 70's, and hadn't been sharpened since it was bought. (it is my uncles) I need to get my own axe so I can take care of some large jobs. does anyone know any good brands? I don't trust the ones at the hardware store.

Being a boy scout teaches lessons that guide a person through life. Maybe not, but I did learn how to sharpen an ax. You use a fine file and some people finish with a fine stone. Unlike sharpening a knife, you want the blade to have a concave edge. See if you can find a boy scout book and it'll have a diagram that makes it clear. I don't know the brands because mine is ancient.

For some reason, I though you were talkin' about guitars! :D - Rich

Maybe this is poolboy's uncle. This axe is from the 70s and I wouldn't trust one from the hardware store either.

gene1.jpg

;) I know about the Rune Battleaxe...
rune_battleaxe.gif

I don't know squat about sharpening axes, but as Jimscott says, "Google is your friend":

Axe Sharpening & Misc.

A Forest Service site: An Ax to Grind: A Practical Ax Manual

And as a Boy Scout Manual was recommended here's one to a website for Boy Scout Troop 732 in Palm Bay, Florida. It also has maintenance tips you'll find useful. Skills - Axe - Sharpening

There were several other links listed but I thought these would get you started. For more, just Google "axe sharpening"

Back