What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

double rainbow

There was a double rainbow just before sundown last night and I can only remember one other time I've seen two complete bows. Are they that rare everywhere or just where I've lived? Or maybe I don't spend enough time looking up.

I can't recall ever having seen a good one. I once saw an amazing picture of a double rainbow. I'll see if I can find where I saved it... Ah the benefits of trawling photography boards. ;)

When there's a double rainbow, the colour arrangement is opposite relative to each other, right? IE, one goes ~ROYGBIV while the other goes ~VIBGYOR.

I dunno if I have ever seen one. I think I might have but only one in my life. Don;t see them much down here though. At least not that I notice.

pictures plzkthnx :(

I've seen about 3 or 4 double rainbows out here. I think it might depend on how good of a view you can get of the horizon. This spring I was driving into one and swear I saw a triple. I think it was changing just based on my location as I was driving down the highway.

Yes, the order of colors in the outer rainbow is the opposite of the inner one. The outer one also is much less distinct.

That sounds neat. Est, have you found that pic? I've love to see it.

Everywhere in hawaii :)
I miss my old house there :(

I've seen quite a few also. I have seen some really cool and fascinating weather phenomena from the 'office'. I must admit it's one aspect of the job I love immensely.

I've seen a number of double rainbows (even a faint triple) but never fully complete. Either they fade away near the end or there are hills or buildings in the way. There is something to be said for living in flat lands.

I love weather phenomena...clouds, lightning, supercells, tornados, rainbows, sundogs, lunar rings...

One evening there was a stunning flaming sunset when I was in a Target parking lot so I jumped out of my car, stood up in the door (trying to get away from the floodlights and stuff) and took some photos (first pic). It was awesome. A guy walking by asked me if I were a photographer and I said no, I just like to take photos. I put my camera away and was getting ready to leave when I heard someone yelling. It was the guy running back toward me. He was all excited and pointing at something. He said "Look at that!" I turned around and there was a brilliant colored "tail" hanging off the bottom of a cloud! It was amazing! The sun was setting fast so I hastily got my camera and jumped up on the car and took the second pics. They don't really show how beautiful it was but...I'm glad they came out at all. It was so nice of that guy to run back and get my attention.

Someone said it was a sundog (parhelion) but I think it was a red rainbow. Parhelions are located left or right of the sun...this was behind me. Red rainbows occur at sunset and are missing blue and are predominantly red. I don't think it had been raining but it was probably a spray of ice crystals in the sky.

Everytime I see a sunset like that I always think of James Taylor's "and hey, babe, the sky's on fire, I'm dyin' ain't I?"

Back