What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Yes I use terro to, it works great the ants crawl over each other to get to it.

Did you get any recent plant orders? They could have hitched a ride.

At any rate that goo stuff works great, and I second ANT. Definetaly not a "carpenter ant"

the ants in indiana jones.

Although these guys look like they just set up housekeeping in one of your pots - beware. Frequently, a large quantity of ants on / around plants can be an indication of an pest infestation. I know aphids and scale attract them (and maybe others) as there is some sort of mutually beneficial relationship between the 2 (pests secrete sweet fluid or something).

If you want to make up something, use small amounts of borax and sugar water (google for details). Borax has the toxicity of salt to people iirc but it's bad news for insects.

Good luck.

Terro, huh? Thanks I'll get some of that if the mix I have now doesn't work.
I'm not sure how aphids would get into my room. I didn't bet any recent orders, I think the ants might've actually drawn to the humidity in my room. Seems like we have some ant experts here, whaddya think?

2 atleast!

Merit is safe to use in the house. It is the same stuff used on termites. If I am not mistaken it kills ants too. You can get it at lowes in a product called Bayer Advanced. It will say With Merit on it since there is now several different kinds. Seven liquid will also get rid of them, but it is not house safe and will kill everything. I used it once to kill an ant nest is an orchid pot and thye never went back LOL. Good luck.

Uncooked grits is also a good method to control ants. Do not use instant grits. the ants will carry it back to the queen and when the queen says eat they will all eat and its like feeding alkaselser to the seagulls. It expands inside the stomach and ruptures. Or so I am told. The deal is you have to put up with the ants to do that though its not instant.

the ants that havent eaten the grit will stick around for months.

I am finding ants everywhere!! First on my plant stand...then the pantry...then on the plant rack over my sink and now on my computer desk upstairs! Ants, ants, ants!

I just put out some ant disks.

I found one on me when I woke up this morning. Now I really have to get rid of these guys.
So far, the plants have been doing a great job of exterminating as many ants as possible, but unfortunetly my ant killer has done nothing. I'll probably get some Terro as suggested. Mabye I'll call this place Terro-forums! ahahah!

If you catch the queen, maybe you can make an ant farm. I always wanted one of those.

um, I truly don't see why people hate them, its not like they are filthy, they are really just cleaning up YOUR filth.

um, I truly don't see why people hate them, its not like they are filthy, they are really just cleaning up YOUR filth.

When they end up in the roots like these are doing, they negatively impact the plant and can even lead to its death.

Daniel

um, no.. I thought air circulation was a good thing. unless they are farming some sort of insect.

As I said before, I think their facenating. Such tiny brains, carrying out such complex operations as groups. Its astounding, and in a perfect world I'd keep them. But 1) I'm not waking up with ants crawling around my face and 2) since I'm about to take them in the car, I have to get rid of them since no one will want to help me move them/take apart my growshelf (which is big and made of glass and is not really a one-man job) when there are insects crawling around.
I don't mean to sound harsh, but I don't really have a problem getting rid of ants when they pose threats to my, well, not-waking-up-with-something-weird-and-crunchy-in-my-mouthyness.
Also yah what Daniel said, although I wasn't aware of those effects until recently.

um, no.. I thought air circulation was a good thing. unless they are farming some sort of insect.

They don't just tunnel in the media... from what I understand they can chew through roots to expand their colony and cause horrible effects for the plants. I have also been told this by an expert grower in person as well as having read about it.

Daniel

Back