What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Deutschland for the Summer

DavyJones

Is ready to take this hobby to a whole new level
Hi Guys! I don't usually start many threads, but I'm super excited for this one. I am a fourth year student at Miami University in Ohio, studying German and Accountancy, with a fifth year in the works. I have been searching for a summer internship in Germany for some time now, and finally got one! From June 16 - Aug 22 I will be working in Essen Germany for an energy company being the office biotch. I'm pretty excited, even though my flight will cost an arm and a leg. While I'm gone the parents have decided they would take care of the plants to the best of their ability. I'm putting the lights on a timer, so all they will need to do is remember to water them. I think I'm going to make them tie a string on their finger. So expect a 9 week hiatus from me coming up, but I am excited to have weeks of backlogged threads to read, and to see if there is some change in my plants when I return. I'll miss you guys!

Großartig Alta. Du musst Bremen besuchn!!!!! 's is nur twee Studen weg! Kann dir alles über Bremen erzähln....hab mich fast die ganze Stadt total eingeprägt ;). Veilleicht sollst du 'n bißl Plattdüütsch lern'n eh? "Plattdüütsch muesst juem spreken!" hahaha
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ma5nFPw7Cc

's is beschissen daß du Sido auf'm Tour nicht sehn kann lol.....er spielt in twee Tagn dann nich noch ma bis September.

Aber hauptsächlich, was bringst du für mich zurück? :jester:

Aber hauptsächlich, was bringst du für mich zurück?

:chuckle: That's the important question. You can bring me some chocolate milk powder- the stuff here just aint the same. ;)

Anyway, congratulations! I really hope you enjoy yourself. One of these summers I'm going to have to go back again... but then there's so many family members to see. :-\

I don't know any German, but if I were gonna be there over summer I'd for sure hit the annual Wacken Open Air heavy metal festival!

Macht Nichts

Actually that sounds pretty cool, but that's the only german I know. I learned it from a Tom T. Hall song.

I hope you have a good time.

I just know Achtung!!! because my father liked to say that a lot when I was little. ???

Congratulations! That will be very exciting. There is fluorite in Germany!--so if you run in to any...bring it back with you. :)

Oh and take lots of pictures so we can travel vicariously!

I will most certainly have a blast. It's my second time going, and I expect this trip to be much more fruitful then the first.

PK - I really hope they don't speak Plattdeutsch in Essen. I might cry everyday, great video though. Vielleicht bringe ich ein Bier züruck für dich. I still feel like I owe you for the Sarawak. That joke was not worthy of a plant.

PAK - I will definitely have lots of pictures. And I have no clue what fluorite is besides from your Avatar. Although I sense some sarcasm, is it something you would find lying on the ground in the woods, or something way more complex then that? Either way, if I pick some up, you're first on my list. :)

Lol you probably won't run into Platt in Essen, but you might. If you go to Bremen you might run into it, and if you go to Köln, you'll have to deal with Köllesch, which is even harder to understand than Platt. Here's a clip of James Bond dubbed in Kölsch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rv_kxih7stg

If you can find it, especially used, pick me up a copy of the Nico Suave album that has the song Vergesslich on it. I don't know what it's called, but it's NOT Mit Liebe Gemacht...I already have that one. :D

hey essen ain't that far away from my place :)
so if you feel like seeing carnivorous plant's again feel free to visit ;)

Essen is close to Dusseldorf, home of the alt ales. I know how I'd spend some free time.

Yukko PK ---> I'm flying into Köln. I'll keep my ears peeled for anything CRAZY

DJ Zany ---> Where do you live

Herenorthere ---> Are alt ales a type of beer?

Yes, alt is a type of beer and is pretty unique. As an ale, it's unlike the more famous German beers which are lagers. My understanding is that most alts are bottled for local consumption, meaning they don't use modern bottling plants and must be kept cold. I've seen a couple brands imported here and several US microbrewers make the style. I got some alt yeast and made a batch back in my homebrewing days and it was outstanding. Alt might be the only style I prefer un-aged.

Back