What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sphagnum Moss

I've looked at past threds and tried those ideas, but I cant get it looking good. Or even alive for that matter. I have some in a propagator here.
DSCF0220.jpg

Obviously humid in there. There is some red moss aswell, am I doing this right? I read that the less sunlight, the better looking the moss. Is this right? I just don't know.??? I havn't bothered trying to ressurect Moss untill recently. I keep it watered.

I don't know who told you that.... Sphagnum moss can grow in low or high light. I think it looks best under high light. Sphagnum grown in low light will look like gangly.

Can't really see anything.

Ok, Ill take the lid off. I don't know why but it smells nice in there. ???

I didn't say that lol. Taking the lid off is going to have a negligible effect on the light, and moss grown in humidity that high will dessicate quickly if you do that.

So should I keep the lid on? There is not much sunlight here at the moment.

I've got live LFS in cups of water, under a Grolite, mainly as sprouting VFT leaves. They stick ~1" out of the water. Nothing fancy.

I think the key to growing lush sphagnum is to keep it wet.

When I want to grow sphagnum around my outdoor plants, say for a CP show, a month or two prior I take a wad of live sphagnum and chop into small bits and place it on top of the soil around the plant. It will take forever to get going UNLESS you drizzle the moss bits with some water every day or so. That has been the trick for me and I do have it growing around many of my outdoor VFTs and Sarrs. Once it gets going you can water it less.

For plants in a terrarium, water the moss less or you may rot the plant it's growing around. Just a few drops on the moss bits works fine.

Hope this helps.

Back