What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pipe Smokers

Yeah. Smoking the pipe is definitely a special occasion thing anyway. Cigarettes can be quite nasty, I agree, but I still indulge myself every once in a while.

Go PaK! That's quite the achievement!

If you want good cigarettes, try American Spirits, or Lucky Strikes from Serbia, or Davidoffs from Germany or Bulgaria.

I love menthols. Always wanted to try a kretek but never had the chance. Clove is my favorite smell. And I mean a real kretek, not one with the flavor added.

I quit smoking... I guess a year ago. For me, my first cigarette wasn't pleasant or unpleasant. It just make me light headed. So I tried a couple more and a couple more trying to find out what people liked about them, and by that time I was addicted. For me, the only enjoyment I ever got from them was relieving the cravings. I did get a kick out of making smoke rings lmao.

Nothing is worse than cheap cigarettes. If you smoke cheap cigarettes, you may as well go roll one out of pine straw. It tastes about as good. I don't like cigars. The smell is sickeningly sweet, and pipes seem like a hassle when you could smoke a cigarette.

I am an ex-smoker, but let me tell you, there's nothing I hate more than preachy ex-smokers. I hate people who will give smokers dirty looks for smoking in a designated public place. I hate people who point out, unprovoked, the statistics. Do you know what I hate most of all? I hate those anti-smoking commercials. I hate them. I hate them. I hate them. You know the ones. The ones that say things like "In 1971, when one tobacco executive was reminded that smoking can lead to underweight babies, he said, "some women would prefer smaller babies. '"

My parents always told me never to smoke. They usually had a cigarette in their hand. It meant nothing to me. They have since quit. A year for my mother and two for my father. My mother was at two packs a day! I'm still glad I smoked, got addicted, and quit, because I think that makes me a stronger person, and the two year period that I did smoke probably had a negligible effect on my lungs in the long run. I'm not worried about it. I quit smoking everything lol. Even pot. Not good for my lungs at all. Of course I smoked the twigs and seeds along with the bud, lmao, so I made it worse hehe. I ALSO hate it when people say pot is so much healthier for you! No it isn't! Pot contains more tar (the tar is what's so great about it!), and is usually unfiltered. It's also held in longer. In one perspective, smoking pot is better for you because it's unlikely you'll smoke nearly as much pot as you would tobacco, so overall you get less tar. In the other perspective, if you smoked the weight equivalent of a pack of cigarettes a day in pot, you'll be much more unhealthy than a tobacco smoker. Of course more refined marijuana products are a different matter. Hash oil, for example, is pretty much pure tar, but atleast you're not smoking all of that cellulose and other alcohol-insoluble stuff. Hash is just the trichomes of the plant. Not sure if it's healthier than hash oil or not. I take back what I said about cloves being my favorite smell. Pot, cloves, lilies and shrooms are pretty much tied in first place. mmmm mmm mmm.

I also quit drinking coffee. Nightmare when I quit. I used to drink half a pot a day, with five or six heaping-scoops of grounds per pot. I drank my usual dose the other day after a couple of months without it. Wow! Didn't eat for 24 hours and did all the housework! Also read that diet soda makes you hungrier, so I don't drink any soda anymore. Plus it has caffeine in it.

Thank y'all. :)

Personally, I can't understand people who don't drink.

I don't drink. I don't care for the taste and care even less for its potential for damage.

While many people do drink responsibly, if you have seen the things I've seen, seen the pain and suffering alcohol abuse can bring, if you are knowledgeable about alcohol abuse and understand how easily one can cross the line from social to problem...you'd never touch it. It's playing Russian Roulette...are you going to be one of the people who can handle alcohol and have it be just a tastey drink now and then or are you doing to be one of the millions of people who's bodies can't handle it and who can't live without it.

It's just NOT worth the risk of emotional damage, physical damage and health issues it CAN cause. I know a LOT of people who would call themselves "social drinkers" who are SO over line but say its just "having a good time".

I never cared much for alcohol because of the taste, but after seeing the suffering some of my friends went through with alcoholic parents and/or boyfriends...I ceased what little drinking I did. There is nothing about alcohol that is worth opening the door to the emotional suffering I saw my friends go through. Most of the people I know who drink, know very little about alcohol beyond "It's fun". I don't need alcohol to have fun. I have a GREAT time every time I am around my friends. For that matter I have a great time by myself.

I smoked and, aside from the "second hand smoke" issue...the only person I was hurting was me. Alcohol abuse inflicts pain on everyone around the abuser...from family members to spouses to hapless strangers who were unfortunate enough to be on the road with a drunk driver.

I was never so stupid to think that smoking was NOT harming me. It's an addiction and very hard to give up...same as alcohol for some people.

It's really kind of interesting that smokers seem far more willing to admit its bad for them than a heavy drinker to admit alcohol is bad for them. I wonder why that is...

Sorry. Off my soapbox. I've seen too many reaaaally nice people hurt by alcohol not to be passionately anti-abuse.

On topic...in previous years, one of my most commonly used pipes was the toilet paper pipe. lol

I am an ex-smoker, but let me tell you, there's nothing I hate more than preachy ex-smokers.

Ohmigod that is the truth!!! I'll never be like that. My boss is like that. She used to smoke and after she quit she'd walk past us smoking outside with a dirty look and a cough.

Tell Sinatra not to worry, there are many ways to feel good without the alchohol! :-O

I don't drink cos it gives me immediate indigestion, first shot or drink of beer and I'm breathing flames from my belly. I used to love Tequila in my late teens and early 20s but not anymore. I can't get enough down to get drunk I just get sick and quit trying to drink it. I never did like waking up with a hangover either.

I smoke manufactured cigs when I go to work every few days but I don't smoke them on my days off at home - I guess it makes going to work a tad more desireable "Oh boy I get to smoke at break time"...

First and foremost, congratulations, Susanne. I missed your post earlier.

Take me for example. I don't care for booze, but every other month or so I'll get totally wasted. Doesn't affect my life, and I don't crave it, so I don't see a problem with it. I'm sure once I'm in college I'll drink more often and less heavily. Or maybe not, we'll just have to see. I couldn't do it every day. I don't have the energy lmao. I wouldn't call what I do abuse, because I don't really see the point in drinking unless you get wasted. Abuse, to me, would be getting wasted night after night and letting your social life and grades suffer. Of course, you guys can feel free to disagree with me. Abuse would be taking benadryl to boost the alcohol. Or just happening to drink more than usual when you break an arm and get some vicodin. Or worse, an opiate, benadryl, and vodka cocktail! Not that I have a problem with doing those, but not for me. Benadryl knocks me ou by it's self so I wouldn't want to mix it with anything lmao. And I don't play around with painkillers anymore. I was never a downer kind of guy anyway. I want to experience life to the max when I use, not lay around in a daze and scratch myself.

I do know the damage it can do. My uncle was a heavy alcoholic and pill popper, and he died at like 40. Never found out exactly what killed him, but he was clearly jaundiced. Fell over in a pool of his own blood. Very sad. Pretty awkward saying this, but my father was also an alcoholic and used to beat my mother when I was a kid. Well, I take that back. I honestly wouldn't consider him an alcoholic, just a really mean drunk. He quit without problems and has been sober for... jesus maybe ten years. Really happy, laughable dude until he gets drunk. My grandfather was also an alcoholic. And, funny enough, my other grandfather on my father's side ran moonshine during the prohibition lmao. So you see, alcoholism (sort of) runs on both sides of my family but I'm not really worried about it. Just have to watch myself I guess. Like I said, I don't really enjoy alcohol particularly. It's dead-last on my list of fun substances.

I hate the way people say "Drugs and alcohol". Alcohol is a drug, just like barbiturates, GHB, or any other CNS depressant. If it came in a pill form, it would require a prescription, if it wasn't already placed on schedule one. What I hate is alcoholics, and drug addicts for that matter, blaming it all on "their disease". please. You gave yourself that disease, so stop complaining and take some responsibility and clean yourself up on your own under the care of a physician. Get cancer, then you can complain to me. Unless it's lung cancer or liver cancer, in that case this may sound cruel, but until I'm a doctor I don't have time for a situation you got yourself into. My grandmother died from COPD from being a lifetime smoker, and it was extremely sad. She also got addicted long before the facts about nicotine and it's affect on your health came out, so I can sympathize. She also quit before she was ever diagnosed with emphysema, so I can sympathize even more, but if you're 20 or 30, you have no excuse. You knew quite well that smoking wasn't good for you. This isn't 1920. Four out of five doctors no longer recommend Pall Mall.

Like Susanne, I always knew what I was doing to myself. I thought I could smoke in moderation, but hehe, that's rarely the case. Even one cigarette is bad for you! At the most I was at four lights a day, so it could have been harder to quit had I continued. The fear of being without cigarettes is reason enough to quit. I guess once my parents gave me permission to smoke, it took a lot of the fun out of it, too.

I've heard of toilet paper pipes. No thanks! With my luck I'd catch myself on fire. I used coke cans hehe.

I used coke cans hehe.

The rumour in our school was using those caused alzheimer's... ;)

I used coke cans hehe.

On the subject of addictive things, or those with an addictive personality (you know, the people who can become addicted to shopping or gambling), people, especially young people think it's all fun and games. It is at first, and I'm not going to lie, if you're careful and stay in control, and only use addictive things once in a blue moon, things can stay that way. Once you start to crave it, it's time to stop. The problem with doing meth once a year or coke "just on the weekends" or smoking just once a day is that is rarely stays that way.

Reminds me of my favorite marilyn manson song: Dope Hat

I peek into the hole, I struggle for control
The children love the show,
but they fail to see the anguish in my eyes
Fail to see the anguish in my eyes
I scratch around the brim, I let my mind give in
The crowd begins to grin,
but they seem to scream when darkness fills my eyes
Seem to scream when darkness fills my eyes, it's no surprise
Fail to see the tragic, turn it into magic
My big top tricks will always make you happy,
but we all know the hat is wearing me
My bag is in the hat, it's filled with this and that
My vision's getting fat, the rabbit's just a monkey in disguise
Stars and pills and needles dance before our eyes
They will bite the hand if it is slower than
the quickness of their scrutinizing eyes
Fail to see the tragic, turn it into magic
My big top tricks will always make you happy,
Chicanery will always make you happy,

But alcohol is weird. It's not necessarily addictive, but it can be. Meth is addictive. Coke is addictive. Benzos are addictive. There is no gray area there, but alcohol may or may not be addictive for each individual. It's really genetic and perhaps even environmental. I'm speaking psychologically, not physically btw. It will be physically dependent once you reach a certain point with your drinking regardless of whether or not you're psychologically addicted to it.

I'm sure its easy to become an alcoholic. I used to drink much more heavily than I do now. However, I quit easily enough. I know there's a thin line between enjoying and getting addicted to anything, but if you're not a weak individual, you just exert some control on yourself. Like I said, I used to smoke and drink a ton, but I stopped smoking all together and stopped drinking so much simply by telling myself not to. If you're strong enough of mind, you can fix things like that on your own, before they get too out of control. One of my favorite mottos: Life's too short to be weak.

I can't see any kind of addiction ever controlling me, or thinking that I "can't" quit.
I enjoy alcohol, but I'm responsible with it. I also don't ever get hangovers thanks to my good ol' heritage.

Clint, hate to break it to you xD
Marijuana does not contain Tar. :\
studies have proven many things:
Marijuana has a cancer preventative
Marijuana does not have Tar
Marijuana does not have the chemicals that tobacco has in it because many are added to it in factories
where as in Marijuana, what you get is just a dried chunk of an unpollenated flower.
Marijuana used as medical purposes helps pain, ADHD, anger control issues, and various other mental illnesses.
i smoke Marijuana for my ADHD and Bipolar, as well as back issues
the doctor is going to give me a license for it because of many issues i have.
i smoked cigarettes for a few years
and i can say that smoking marijuana does NOT do anything that cigarettes do.

When you look like that, how could you not?

I take it you're not a Hunter S. Thompson fan.

trichomes are not tar.

Hate to break it to you, but what do you think the resin is? It's tar. Resin is the THC and other oils and nasties. I do not consider THC it's self tar, but some may. What do you think the brown stuff that builds up in a pipe is? It's resin, AKA tar! What do you think makes used bong water brown? It's tar! The THC is not water soluble, so everything in the dirty water is tar!

The trichomes themselves are not resin. They're just "hairs" that happen to be the primary source of THC on the buds. Sorry if I gave the impression I was saying they were tar; I didn't mean to get that across because that's not true at all. They may contain some tar, but it's negligible compared to the entire bud.

Really, the bottom line is that smoking anything at all isn't good for you. Not when you can just eat it.

Clint, resin is not Tar.
When smoked from a pipe, most resin sticks to the pipe anyway though resin presents no harm to the body like tar does. having a mother who has smoked weed for 34 years for medical purposes and not having ruined lungs until picking up smoking kinda shows the difference.

they ADD tar to tobacco as well.
Marijuana, if from a trusted person, is in itself, pure, and only a plant.
Marijuana has NEVER directly killed someone
where Alcohol has
Tobacco causes cancer, emphisema, and various other illnesses.

Dude. Soak some nice bud in alcohol. Evaporate the alcohol. What you're left with is resin. Not all of that resin is THC. The rest is tar.

If she smoked 40 joints a day, the equivalent of two packs, then she must be in a great deal of pain. I find it hard to believe that after 34 years of smoking 20-40 joints daily, her lungs are in great health. Of course there are 90 year olds who still smoke without apparent harm. Really a minority, but doesn't mean it's healthy. If you smoke 40 nice joints a day, it's worse on your lungs than 40 cigarettes unless you filter your joints.

You're right. It's never directly killed anyone. I'm a huge supporter of legalizing it. I really don't like to use it because it makes me so paranoid, but if it was legal I would have no paranoia. It's far safer than alcohol. Hell, it's far safer than almost all of the OTC stuff. It's a matter of time. I firmly believe that in my lifetime, it will be legal. And not quasi-legal in some states as it is now. Potheads don't beat their wives, and are often too lazy to drive anywhere. It doesn't make you aggressive, it makes you hungry, sleepy and gives you the giggles. You can overdose on alcohol. You can't on MJ. You can become addicted to alcohol, and unless you're the type who becomes addicted to gambling or shopping, you won't become addicted to MJ. I remember back in the day, my freind's parents grew some awesome stuff, and she didn't have a computer so she'd trade me dime bags for CD's I'd burn for her. I can promise you that it was worse for my asthma than cigarettes. Of course I have asthma and I'm weird :)

And it seems to me that taking MJ for ADHD and pain is a lot better than taking speed and opiates. That is, of course, if it helps as well as amphetamine/methylphenidate and opiates.

Really, the bottom line is that smoking anything at all isn't good for you. Not when you can just eat it.

I totally agree there even though I sin against it.

eating it IS better for you and im not saying the resin isnt bad for your lungs
but the resin isnt as dangerous as tar as it is a completely different compound, however similar in its form it may be.
but eating it takes a couple of hours for the THC to relieve pain in the case of medical marijuana patients, where as if you smoke it, it takes a little less than half an hour.

I meant for recreation. Eating is better if you don't have to have it in the first place. Vaporizing is really the best way to "smoke" it.

Anyone watch Weeds? I freaking love that show. Can't wait until the new seasons starts!

Back