What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

search for the great Tatonka

• Thread starter rattler
  • Start date
drove through the south unit of Theodore Roosevelt National Park this morning.....

found these lil guys......
IMG_9920.jpg

than spotted these.........
IMG_9941.jpg

IMG_9942.jpg

found some cows, this years and last years calves.....
IMG_9929.jpg

IMG_9930.jpg

IMG_9931.jpg

IMG_9932.jpg

IMG_9933.jpg

IMG_9936.jpg

IMG_9937.jpg

IMG_9938.jpg

IMG_9939.jpg

finally found a couple big Tatonkas
IMG_9921.jpg

IMG_9922.jpg

IMG_9923.jpg

IMG_9925.jpg

IMG_9926.jpg

IMG_9927.jpg

IMG_9944.jpg

actually as big as these bull bison are ive been around some charolais bulls that are bigger

Cool pics. It's amazing to think they were once threatened and now there are gazillions of them.

I've had a bison burger and didn't care for it...

I remember one "extreme pets" show on I guess Animal Planet where they showd an old farmer who had a bison as his pet. It lived in the house and sat next to the couch while the guy and his wife watched TV and petted it.

...and I hate cleaning the catbox!

Awesome pictures. I've had bison, too. I liked it. The first picture is so cute.

xvart.

Cool pics. Yeah, the first pic is really cute :)

i consider bison THE BEST red meat to eat.....however it is extreamly lean so you have to watch how its cooked, very easy to cook it to the point its as tough as shoe leather.....as far as red meat goes i rank them:

#1 bison
#2 range fed cattle....if handled right.....generally have to buy it from a good "on the farm" butcher and not a supermarket
#3 elk
#4 pronghorn if it is handled right....if handled wrong its some of the worst tasting stuff there is......unfortunatly most handle it wrong...
#5 deer that have been grazing in corn/soybean/ect
#6 cattle fattened up or raised in feed lots

When I lived in Nebraska during my military stint, I found a few steak houses that served corn fed, well aged, and never frozen meats, including Black Angus, very savory steaks indeed!

Some years later, I found myself at a BBQ celebrating the state's 200th birthday, and had a buffalo burger, which wasn't half bad, and thought it seemed appropriate to celebrate the bison-tennial! :D (ugh!) - Rich

and i dont care much for the taste of corn fed beef.....its not bad by any stretch.....just prefer range fed......there is alot more flavor in range raised beef......i can almost always tell te difference right away if im having a plain steak.....but if their is a spicy rub on it there is minimal difference......course part of the preference likely comes from the fact i was raised on local beef which rarely if ever sees a feedlot.....never had a burger from McDonalds till i was about 12 and i couldnt figure out why ppl liked them....they taste like crap and im used to the burger part of the sandwich to weigh a half pound or so and be full of juice :grin:....

Hey Rattler, have you seen the book Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan? The first part is about corn-fed food, the 2nd part is about grass-fed food and the last part is about wild food. Given where you live and what you're into, it's written for you. By the way, I was skimming the posts too quickly and thought you were searching for the great:

TonkaDumpTruck.gif

IMG_9938.jpg

wow that may be some mighty good eatin, no wonder the indians hunt these animals yum!

I would think it more likely its hunting for a milk shake.

you would be right PAK.......

Back