What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

True scary stories.

Tell all of your scary true stories here. They have to be true, but they don't have to have happened to you, they could've happened to you, a friend, a family member, etc.

One night my friend and his sister were riding their go cart in the woods, and it was in the middle of the night. His sister suddenly said, "Wait stop, I heard something." So he stopped the go cart and turned it off. After a few seconds of listening, they heard a baby crying. Out in the middle of the woods, in the middle of the night, a baby was crying, and it just wasn't a normal thing. They both screamed, started the go cart, and drove off. They never went back in those woods again in the dark.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
One time when I was a little kid, I walked into a room in our rented apartment. Against the wall was a shelf with lots of spaces for things in it. In one of those spaces was a rolled up sleeping bag. So I walked in, and when I got about halfway to the shelf, the sleeping bag flew off of the shelf and landed halfway across the room. That scared me so bad I never wanted to go back in that room again.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My friend believes his house is haunted. He thinks this because when he is home alone, he hears scratching sounds coming from the walls, like someone was dragging their nails across the wall, and someone walking around upstairs. He was the only one their, and he got his pellet rifle and his dog and hid. He kept hearing the footsteps and scratching, and they didn't stop until his parents got home.

That is freaky! I sometimes get sounds like that in my house late at night. Sometimes I can hear the toilet flush when everyone is asleep!

When I was a kid at my grandparents house, sometimes at night right as I was trying to drift of to sleep I'd start to hear heavy breathing coming out of my closet. Only happend once in a while but it freaked me out badly every time. One time it even did it in broad daylight when I had a friend in my room, we both heard it and he ran out of my house like crazy.

Then one day when I as a bit older, I was trying to go to sleep after I had had a bad day. I was in a really lousy mood and just wanted some sleep. The breathing started and for the first time I wasn't scared, I was absolutely furious because I just wanted some sleep. So I sat up in bed, looked right at the closet and yelled "KNOCK IT THE *F* OFF!!!"

It stopped, and I never heard it again ever.

That's right Tim, Spirits of fear, drive them out!

I was at someones house and we were outside sitting at a table, it was a nice day sunny, no wind. The table we were at was outside the porch to the house on some rocky pavement, almost like cement but with large pebbles mixed in. Well there was a chair that was empty, it was like 3 feet away from the table. suddenly the screen door to the porch opened and shortly after the chair slid up to the table it's legs making scraping sounds as it scooted about across the exposed aggregate. The person whose house I was at, their mother had died she was hooked up to a machine to help her breath. The chair scooted up close to the table about 6" away, the odd thing is there was no breeze and the chair stopped where the cord to the breathing machine would unplug if the lady went farther.

My family and I have had a ton of paranormal experiences in my parents' house. It has become somewhat normal and no longer frightens us, but it scares people who spend the night and don't expect it.

One time when I was in middle school, some family members had come to visit and we were all sitting in the living room around the fireplace talking, when one of my little sisters' dolls comes flying across the room into the center of the group. Everybody had seen it fly in from nowhere and we were all speechless. Needless to say most of the family was freaked.

There were many odd experiences that happened to individual family members (including myself), but the next weird experience to happen in front of a group, was a couple years later when I was in high school. It was me and 2 friends sitting in my room watching a movie. I had a pretty large room back at my parents' house and there was a guitar resting on top of a sofa on the other side of my room. During one of the quiet scenes in the movie, completely out of nowhere, the guitar played itself. Usually when I tell this story, people think that the guitar strummed a chord or two, as if something bumped up against it. This is not what happened. It literally played a 5 second tune, that had some melody to it. My friends and I looked at each other and what they said can't be repeated here. I calmed them down and told them that weird things happen in that house but one of my friends wasn't having it. He is a huge guy too, literally 6'8" 300lbs, and he wanted to go home like a little girl lol. We finished the movie uneasily and then they bolted.

Some of the things that happened to individual people are: The faucets turning themselves on. My mom hears it on, goes to turn it off, steps back into the hallway and in a matter of seconds it is back on full blast. Sometimes in the middle of the night there will be a coffee cup sitting on top of the dining table and you can hear it being rested back on the table as if someone takes a sip and then sets it back down (my dad heard this one and saw the cup there empty in the morning).

One time, and I will never forget this, I was home alone in the same room that had the guitar in it (this was before the guitar incident, and before we became accustomed to the crazy). In that room there were shutters on the far side of the room that looked into the foyer of the house and overlooking the staircase. Because of that, the room didn't hold sound that well and you could hear everything in and out of the room. Anyway, I'm playing my game and I hear footsteps on the tile in the foyer. I know no ones home so I mute the speakers and listen, and all of a sudden I hear footsteps running up the stairs. I almost literally crapped myself, no joke or exaggeration. I was so freaked that I didn't bother to look out the shutters for fear of what I might see. I just bolted across the room and started stacking my weights against the door (I had a bench press and weights in the room). When my parents got home I was just about traumatized listening to footsteps the whole time they were gone. I had also opened my windows and taken off the screens getting ready to jump out the window if I had to. That was extremely scary.

My sister has heard little girls playing in our backyard in the middle of the night, and a family friend has heard an old woman moaning all while they were alone in the house.

We have since come to the conclusion that whatever is causing these weird things to happen does not mean us harm, and so when they happen we usually ignore it. Back in the day though, it used to scare the living crap out of us.

The other night, I was out smoking and it sounded like some one was chopping wood at like 3 in the morning.

I got into my car as quietly as possible, and got my flashlight out. The Chopping had stopped, I waited in silence, trying to get a better look. It was cloudy so I couldn't see much of any thing. About 10-15 mins had passed and heard it again, This time I flahsed the light in the direction of the noise, and i heard something fall, and I saw the movement of something into the bushes. I couldn't make out what it was.

Another night, I was sitting in the living room, and It felt like their was some one watching me. Of course my mom was at her boyfriends house, and I was home alone. I looked back and saw the shape of some one walk from one end of the dinning room to the other. I shouted "who is their?" and their was no answer. Gives me the creeps just talking about it.

Our old house was haunted I think. Only me and my dad ever heard anything though I experienced more than most. It was a 100+ year old house and was built in the style at the time with a front and servants staircase. My room was at the top of the servants staircase and one wall butted up against that staircase. Being old the stairs creaked and I knew what ones creaked and in what order (top down it was 2, 6, 7,8, 14, &16) so I could actually tell what direction someone was going on the staircase (I was an insomniac as a child). Well many a times I would hear steps going down the stairs in the middle of the night, however we always kept the door closed at the bottom and it squeaked pretty bad when you opened and closed it. When I would hear someone going down the stairs I actually check a few times, however no one was on the stairs and the door was still closed.

The worst however was I would often hear someone come up the stairs and open the door to my room. The thing is the way my door latch the weight of the door was actually resting on the latching mechanism making it opening on its own nearly impossible. I also got in the habit of jamming or stacking what I could behind the door to keep it shut to no avail. Now the freakiest part is one night in July when it was very hot and humid with no AC I got up to close my door when it opened it self again and felt a cold inhuman feeling I cant even describe. This and things got moved in my room all the time. Oddly enough I don't believe the spirit meant harm, in fact I believe it was likely the ghost of the nanny who fell down that staircase which made the local papers and although she didn't die then I am willing to bet with two broken legs several broken bones and who knows what kind of internal injuries she didn't survive. I think she is still checking on the children, and it didn't matter to her that I wasn't the child she had been hired to care for, she was still checking on things.

my capensis died.

**** its at night, i'll read these tomorrow.

I have a very scary story. This is one of the most scariest situation I have even been in. I've told this story here before, but we have a lot of new members so, I'll tell it again.

A couple of years ago I was in the swamp and I got stuck, again. I can tell you the whole story, but I'll save that until another time.
To make a long story short, I got stuck miles away from any paved road. I had to walk over 5 miles. It was almost dark. 40 minutes into the walk it was completely dark. You don't know dark until you are in the middle of nowhere. No street lights, nothing. It was so dark I wouldn't have seen a person 20 ft from me.

Well, I was walking along and I hear a sound to my right. At first I thought it was a growl, but I realized it was more of a rumble then a growl. I froze and looked over in that direction. I see nothing but blackness. I knew not to run because almost any animal will start chasing as soon as you do so I stood as still as I could. I can hear animals moving closer too me. They are getting closer and closer and louder. Then they stop. I can still hear a few coming closer. About 30ft from me I start to see black outlines of some very large animals. I have no idea what they are, but at least they weren't getting any closer. I'm standing there looking at them and I can just feel them looking at me. The only sounds I hear are of them moving around. They make no growls, barks, snorts, or anything. There are no sounds to try and identify them at all. So I did the only thing I could think of to try and see what they are. I take out my camera and take a pic. I figure that what ever these animals are, they can see me and knew I was there. So I had nothing to lose by taking a pic to try and see what they were. I did expect them to react to the flash though. I didn't know if that reaction would be to run away or to attack, but I expected something to happen when I pushed the button. I had just gotten a new camera and you have to hit the button for the flash to pop up and I wasn't used to that yet. So the first pic there was no flash and it was just black.
I hit the flash button and point the camera in their direction and take the pic.

My camera has a red light that comes on when you hit the button before the flash goes off. It's for when you take pics in low light situations that you can see a little better to take the pic.
When this red light flashed all I saw was hundreds of red glowing eyes looking at me. That is a site I'll never forget. Then after that the flash went off and instead of red eyes I saw hundreds of yellowish eyes staring at me.

Here is the pic that I took.

182688376O687733503.jpg

While I don't believe in ghosts or UFOs I love reading books on the occult, ritual magic and the paranormal. I've had some weird stuff go down that's unexplainable to me but I don't neceassarily put it into the realm of the supernatural.

Always my house (a condo) has had things that shake, wobble and rock. Sometimes it's lamps, sometimes pictures, sometimes cupboard doors. I've had the bedroom doors open when I'm the only one home.

Once when I was a kid I awoke and saw (or think I saw) a figure sitting at my miniature painting area. I didn't actually see the figure itself but the shadow on the wall as if there were someone sitting in the chair and their head/shoulders were shadowed on the wall. But that may have been some residual from a dream as I awoke but i always remember it.

Some stories from my mom are that she saw a black shape descend from the ceiling and leave a handmark on wall. She told me about it when I came home from work and there was indeed a mark of somekind on the wall as to whether it was a distinct handshape, that's up to debate.

Before she was married she was coming home from work late one night her car was bathed in a bright light from above, she stopped the car and covered her eyes and ducked down in the seat. When she came up the light was gone with no indication on the road or in the sky of what the light was.

Another time she was walking the dog before she left for work and saw a large rod shaped craft hovering over the lake across the street from our house. Later that day when she spoke with my grandmother on the phone she said she'd seen the same thing in the sky over our direction while letting the cats out at the same time that morning (granny lived some 20 miles away at that time). She didn't wake me, I think I was 12 at the time, I sure wish she would have I've always wanted to see something even as a kid. Any kind of proof we're not alone just whirling aimlessly around the void waiting for doomsday.

When I was a teenager my bed covers came completely off the bed in a quick waving motion and fell back down on top of me. At the same time I saw a figure that was not much less horrible than seeing Alien in the movie Alien for the first time. Fifteen years later I still can not decide if it was a nightmare or not becuase I swore I was awake. In the same room I would get heat spells and see moving shadows while feeling somewhat paralyzed with my eyes open but after the alien incident I never slept in my own room again. I never had another problem sleeping or with extreme nightmares? again (knock on wood).

My camera has a red light that comes on when you hit the button before the flash goes off. It's for when you take pics in low light situations that you can see a little better to take the pic.
When this red light flashed all I saw was hundreds of red glowing eyes looking at me. That is a site I'll never forget. Then after that the flash went off and instead of red eyes I saw hundreds of yellowish eyes staring at me.

Did you ever figure out what those were? When you crank up the brightness of that photo you can clearly see the outlines of animals. You can also see a barb wire fence though which makes me think they are in some kind of pen.

I think those things Ozzy took a picture of were cows. If you look on the far right you can see one looking pretty much straight at the camera and it looks very much like a cow to me.

This is another incidence that happened at my friends house. His house was the oldest standing structure in town and had been built by the towns first doctor. The basement to the house only had an exterior entrance and was locked with him possessing the only key. One day while we were sitting watching tv we heard his drum set start banging around. This was clearly someone who didnt know what they were doing but were making a good effort at it. Since there shouldn't have been anyone down there we walked outside and down into the basement as we entered we heard the sticks drop to the ground and that was it no more drumming. We looked all over the basement but couldn't find evidence of anyone having been in there (dirt floor but no foot prints but ours). About 30min after the drumming we heard a jukebox or radio playing the basement, so old 50's music (I want to say my friend said it sounded like buddy holly but I could be wrong on that) so again we went down stairs to see what was going on. There was an old jukebox down there but it was not operational as there was no power cord and the records had been sold out of it. On top of that the only electricity in the basement was a single light bulb and socket that was hanging in the middle of the room, no where near the jukebox. Where the music came from or how it happened still has us both baffled but my friend has supposedly heard it a few times since that day.

I used to not believe in ghosts but after living in the house with the nanny and the incidents at my friends house I have to believe there is something about humans that can linger in this world after physical death.

Yes I did find out what they were. I took more than one pic. When the first flash went off all I saw was the eyes. That was extremely terrifying, but they didn't react like I thought they we're going to. So I took another pic. When I took the second pics I clearly saw what was staring at me. They were cows.

It was so dark that I didn't even know the fence was there until I took the pic.

As I continued to walk down the road they all followed me all the way to the end of the fence. I guess they thought I was going to feed them.

Ozzy, I know the dreadful feling to be out in the middle of the deep woods and not knowing whats around you. Those cows almost looke like a pack of coyotes or wolves! lol

Ive been through numerous experiences that have left me with some very horrifying stories. I wont say them all but here are two that I experienced with other people.

On a hunting trip in the deep pine woods of the Davey Crockett National Forest, My grandfather and I were out hunting. We were miles from any paved roads ... and even farther form any buildings or civilization for that matter. I was 18 years old then and was not afraid of anything out there including the giant wild boar and mountain lions that I had seen. I had hunted those woods and shot enough rounds to feel prepared for those animals. But at night is a whole different story. We were in our spots about a quarter mile from each other and the sun was beginning to fall. We usually wait about a half hour after sunset before heading out and back to camp, but under the thick canopy of the enormous pine trees, you cant even see the stars. It is nearly pitch black. I put on my head flashlight and began following my markers back to my grandpa. It was dead black then and I began to faintly hear leaves being crushed and twigs being broken. I thought nothing of it since there are active animals at night probably just hearing me and moving away... Well it wasnt moving away. It was about thirty feet from me when I head a heavy snap of something that was not a twig. I heard breathing and heavy steps very near me. I seated an arrow (all i had was a my bow!) and shined the light. The brush was thick and hard to make anything out. I made my way to my grandfather and he thought it was a deer until hearing it for himself. We turned back everytime we heard it nearing closer and could see the glowing eyes stairing back at us at eye level..(just for a few seconds until it hid behid a tree) We never left when it was that dark again.

In the same woods I was out with the family while my grandpa and uncle were hunting. I was too young then at about 10 years old. The entire family came alone including, my grandparents, parents, brother, sister, uncle, and aunt. After Everyone was back we all ate and sat around the fire talking. There were scattered clouds and my uncle told my grandfather that a certain star looked strange. He said it wasnt a star at all. My grandpa laughed at him untilhe pointed out that it was under the clouds. He used the spotlight and flickered it. . . just as he did the single light turned into about 10 that flashed on all at once around the single light. It went from looking like the size of a star to the size of a house. Everyone stood up and gawked at it until it suddenly started descending into the forest less than a quarter of a mile from us. The everyone but the 3 older men was panicking. We were camped deep in the woods at the very end of the small dirt road for hunters. My Uncle and Grandfather ended up taking shifts all night long looking out for anything that might come into our camp with their loaded rifles and the fire blazing. I wouldnt sleep with the women and ended up sleeping outside with the men because they had the guns. No one would have ever believed any one of us, but since so many saw the same thing, it has been a family story that everyone knows to be true.

I got some more...
My toilet at my mom's house flushes on it's own... alot... and it does it like twice a day. I don't know if it's broken or whatever, but it's creepy.
My teacher eats chalk.
Just two days ago, in the middle of the night, my friend and my brother and I were going on a little adventure in the woods by my house. I'm freaked out about going into the woods at night, even with other people. So to make me feel safer I brought a couple hunting knives. They brought their airsoft guns for some reason. Ok so we make it into the woods alive, and then we walk about 20ft in. I heard rustling in the tall grass. And the grass was very tall, so you never know what could be lurking down their. So I pulled out the knives and looked around on the ground. I didn't see anything... But then, right when I stood up, I looked over to the side. In a tree was a bright gray figure. It was about 2 feet long. I screamed and it scared the crap out of the guys so they shined their lights at it.
It still looked the same color as in the dark. I told them to turn the lights off, so they did. It was still a bright gray color, the same as in the light. I thought I saw it move. It didn't move in a major way like get down or jump at us, it just wobbled around. We screamed and ran out of the woods.
A few years ago, I was coming downstairs to watch TV. Our family was just haning out in the kitchen, cooking, having a snack, drinking juice (my brother). On the table was a wine glass full of wine. I walked in, and right after I walk in the kitchen and say hi, the wine glass explodes, and the glass lands on the floor directly in front of me in a small scattered pile. I can't explain why the glass exploded, my parents said it was because the glass was warm and the wine was cold or however that goes. But it was sitting there for about an hour, so it wasn't anything with temperature. And I can't explain why it would land right in front of me.
At my moms house, the neighbor has a truck. They hardly ever use it. Under the truck is a gray object hanging from a string. All day and night, no matter how much or how little wind there is, the thing is waving back and forth at the same speed. And whenever something moves to my side, I always see it out of the corner of my eye and it scares me. And at night, you can still see it swaying around. And I got used to it, but I always wondered what it was under the truck, waving, calling...
Last year in the summer, I would always wake up at exactly 8:00 am, even if I went to bed late. I don't set an alarm clock, and I don't do it on purpose, it just happens. I have no idea why, and it only happened at my mom's house.
When I lived in Washington, I would alwalys walk down the street to the bus stop every morning for school. And it's early enough for the street lights to be on still. But every street light that I walk past on my way to the bus stop, it turns off. I didn't think it was weird or anything, but then I started to think about it. Why would the lights turn off right when I walk past them? I see other people walk past the lights without them turning off. Why only me? I got used to it though, and it still happened every time I would walk by them.
A few years ago, my friend and I went into the woods behind his house. We walked up this hill with a very wide path on it, and to the left is a wide path and to the right about 20ft is a 10ft drop into a large construction site. Well if you take a right and go about halfway to the drop, then take a left into the bushes is this very large bush thing. If you can find your way into the bush, there's actually a large hollow area, so we made that into a fort. We didn't discover that there was more hidden paths until a year or two later. So once you get in the fort, you go out the other side. Once out, to the left is a wall of bushes and trees that makes it hard to see in, and to the right is another wall of bushes and trees, and past that is the drop. So you keep going on the trail for about 30ft, then the trail goes up a hill. Up on top of the hill is another large open area. We made that into a fort too. But that fort is where the creepy thing happened. One time, it was dark but not too dark to see, we went up to the first hill I with the wide path I was talking about earlier. Up on top of the hill is a large fallen tree that goes across the path. You have to climb over it, and even though it looks like it might roll down the hill, it's held in place by more trees. So we climb over it, and then to the right the tree is held up a little higher than the left side on a large concrete object. So we climb up the tree and go onto the concrete object. We can see that one fort we made in the trails up on the hill from there. Then I saw a small light shine for a few seconds, then it faded away. I told my friend to look, and he looked. 10 seconds later, the light shined, then faded away a few seconds later. We were wondering what it was. He jokingly said, "What if it's one of those lure fish with the glowy thing on their head?" We laughed for a second, then the light shined again. I had no idea what it was, but it got kindof creepy. Nobody lives in there, there's no houses in there either. And there's no fireflies where we lived. So we were freaked out, because we couldn't come up with any logical explanation for what was happening. Then I said, "What if it's a ghost." Then we were both silent for a little bit, then he said that he hears and sees things in his house at night, sometimes in the day. So we were convinced it was some kind of ghost.
A few years ago, my friend and I went into the construction site. They had stairs built in one house. We went into that house, and I thought I heard noises coming from upstairs. I told my friend, and he said he heard them too. We heard it again, and he said to go check it out. I quietly climbed the stairs and looked around. At first I didn't see anything, but then I saw a peice of wood floating, as if an invisible person were about to swing it at me. I thought it was going to whack me with the peice of wood. What I said cannot be repeated here, and I flew down the stairs screaming, "Run! Run! It's gonna kill us!" We were scared to death by that house and never went back in it again.

I bet that flushing toilet could be fixed :D

No I watched it once, the little lever thing goes down.

Back