What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NeciFiX

Kung Fu Fighting!
I stumbled across some old pictures of all my plants pre-car accident. All were taken on a webcam in a dark bedroom so they're not very good but you can get the gist of my plants before they all were killed.

Pre-Accident 8 Inch pot of Venus Flytraps - Dente, Jaws, Big Mouth, Fang, Cup Trap, Typical 1952, Petite Dragon, Petite Dragon x Jaws, a Cudo Like Deformed plant[October 7th 2007]:

2007100701537pg6.jpg

Me about a year ago holding them:

2007100701979lz8.jpg

Post Accident:

[Today]:
img0051or3.jpg

I have before photos of other plants too, but, they're either too low res or they're hidden and I do not want to find them, here, instead, are just the dead pots. I did post some of my Sarras in the old "show off Sarracenia topic".

Here's the pots:

What was once a large and beautiful/flowering Sarracenia minor 'okee' giant:

img0068es3.jpg

Left is a giant pot once containing S. 'Leah Wilkerson', funny, I had bought it then it died. It cost a fortune! Right is a large pot containing many VFT 'Fang'. Bottom is a S. minor I got from Nepenthesmatt on these forums for postage. Thank you!

img0066ik1.jpg

A Dead Sarr and a pot that was full of Nepenthes:

img0069kr6.jpg

Dead Rhizome of S. purpurea ssp. venosa var. burkii... I was looking forward to it flowering this year:

img0070st4.jpg

Dead S. leucophylla 'hot pink', a almost 3 foot tall plant:

img0067mw4.jpg

Patio of Death:

img0065th0.jpg

Somebody asked me to post these so I did. Some plants I had were not in this picture because they fell out of the car in the accident and lay in the radiator fluid, or, were trapped in the smashed up car and towed away.

I'm really sorry that happened to you. Good luck in building your collection back up.

I got in a car accident while travelling to somebodies greenhouse to put them into dormancy. We got in an accident and had no car so they had to freeze outside and die, while the rest perished in the accident.

I'm glad you're still with us today, and I hope you've made a 100% improvement since before the accident.

Situations like these are one of my biggest fears. Heck, I'm about to leave for a week, and that alone has been on my mind for the past 2 weeks. Training someone to turn the AC off in the morning, on at night, water the plants outside every day, water the inside plants every 3 days. Let alone being caught in an accident, illness, or similar situation.

I'm curious how many professional, life long collections, suddenly vanish to such situations. It's one of my biggest fears in terms of growing plants to be honest.
Even more so haunting when you see people with 1,000+ posts, suddenly vanish from the forums.

But regardless, again, I'm happy to hear you made it through the accident, and I wish you speed in doubling your collection to the point it was before!

Nathan

Thank you --- but I'm sticking with a windowsill. This incident has affirmed my belief you need hundreds of dollars --- if not thousands --- of equipment to grow CP's as far north as I am. I will never have such money, so I will most likely give up on CPs for my entire life. I still have a passion for them though, and a couple left. I'll do what I can this next winter, and try and overwinter them in windowsills but it might not work.

One of the most captivating parts of the hobby for me is growing exotic plants that are so stunning you would think they are native. Im sure youll find ways to keep it going. Maybe try a small terrarium, or build a pvc greenhouse with some free web designs, or use bails of hay to surround them in your yard, or ... .
There are ways to keep your plants happy and stay in the hobby if you truly want to. You would be surprised how creative youll get when you try to solve issues without spending much $$
You have your whole life ahead of you, and Im sure youll have such money if you decide to get back into the hobby in the future. Many of us have no such money, and use our ghetto DIY skills to grow magnificent plants. Try not to let this disaster keep you down, because there will be a few more down the road. There wouldnt be too many of us on these forums if we quit after a disaster (and we all go through them)
Just give it some time and think up some ideas. =)
We would all be glad to help with ideas. I would gladly donate a few plants to you if I had any sarrs or flytraps. (I mostly keep neps in terrarium)

No, I'm good. I'd rather keep just a few than a bunch I'd kill. But, thank you.

Back