What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Nepenthes Ventricosa is about to die, so I'm in the market for a new CP

Wolfn

Agent of Chaos
My Nepenthes Ventricosa is about to kick the bucket. I transplated it almost a month ago, and the growing tip is starting to turn brown. It stopped growing a while ago, but I figured it was in transplant shock. It was growing extremely well before I transplanted it, but it looks like it's about to kick the bucket.

So, I guess I'm in the market for a new carnivorous plant. I need something that will grow basically year round under a lamp. Any suggestions?

Sundews. Nepenthes. Pings. I grow most of my CPs under lights.

Sorry bout the Ventricosa. :(

Sundews. Nepenthes. Pings. I grow most of my CPs under lights.

Sorry bout the Ventricosa. :(

I'm considering either a Cape Sundew or a Mexican butterwort.

But yeah, I feel bad about the Ventricosa because it grew so well for me for almost a year. *sigh*

If you check out the NASC auction, there are quite a few beginner plants and plant collections. Lots of seed. Pings. Good chance to get some nice items.

AND...you can always purchase very healthy, beautiful plants from Flytrapshop.com. You know they haven't been tap watered like retail stores do.

I'm leaning towards a Cape Sundew. "The Savage Garden" says it's a fun and easy plant, etc.

Cape sundews are really nice mine grow very well at the window catching most of the flys and sometimes spiders also sorry about your nep I'm repoting one of mine it's getting big and I see a few roots out of the holes hopefully it goes okay..

Capes are great-as long as they aren't out of control! They're realllly common, but that doesn't make them any less incredible. Go for it!

totally get

Pinguicula moctezumae

sweet plant!

Cape sundews are really nice mine grow very well at the window catching most of the flys and sometimes spiders also sorry about your nep I'm repoting one of mine it's getting big and I see a few roots out of the holes hopefully it goes okay..

I'm worried that the Cape Sundew will dry out if I grow it under a lamp. I'm just wondering about lighting because I'll be growing this in my dorm room. How much light do they need?

Lots of light, but keeping it in sitting in purified water will keep it from drying out. I grew one on an office desk under a 100w compact fluorescent bulb for something like 12 hours and it did just fine. It was a really hot and dry in that office too, but the plants didn't care.

Lots of light, but keeping it in sitting in purified water will keep it from drying out. I grew one on an office desk under a 100w compact fluorescent bulb for something like 12 hours and it did just fine. It was a really hot and dry in that office too, but the plants didn't care.

Where did you get the 100w bulb? My bulb is like 14w and I keep my plants on a minimum of 12 hour photoperiod.

oops-it was something like a 23w but was the equivalent of 100w. Sorry 'bout that.

I had terrible luck with P. moctezumae :(

Snap off the part that's black, spray with a fungicide if you want to use it as a preventative measure, and it should come back from one (or more!) nodes.

The equivalent doesn't matter. I don't know how many times I've said this :( I don't think people read what I say :( You can throw the concept of it being anything like 100 watts out the window. That's what it LOOKS like to a human. To a plant, 23 watts is just 23 watts, which is to say practically nothing. It's sort of like decaffeinated coffee. Why bother? I don't like compact fluorescents. They have too much restrike. If you grew it under a more powerful source of light, the difference in the plant's performance would be like night and day.

My capes grow fine and I don't even give them a second thought when I'm watering, potting, etc...

Back