What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Orchid ID Help Please :)

Well, I finally did it. I normally walk right by the Orchids at Home Depot and resist buying one, but the other day I saw one I had seen many times before and decided to purchase it. I know I probably shouldn't have, and that this could just lead to another obsession, but I thought this one looked pretty cool. I know absolutely nothing about Orchids, so please feel free to chime in with any advice you may have. I would read up on them, but I can easily spend days doing that and then regret wasting my time later :). Instead, I ask that you please share any tips or advice you may have (that way I can read them in their concise form:)). I think this is a paph.? I don't know exactly what that is, but the tag said paphelo-something-o. Anyway, heres a couple pics. Thanks in advance :).

(Oh yeah the Orchid does not sit in water, I just have the plastic saucer there to collect the extra water for some of my other outdoor plants.)
OrchidWhole.jpg

OrchidFlower.jpg

Daniel

Some kind of Paph. It's probably one of thousands of hybrids, so I think your best labeling bet is "paph hybrid".

Goodluck. There are so many hybrids that look the same. As a rule of thumb I never ID an NoID orchid unless there is an unmistakable feature that IDs it as a species orchid. That is a Paphiopedilum hybrid, but unless it came with a tag, an ID may not be reliable.

they are a terrestrial orchid and don't like to dry out. They also do not like to be waterlogged either. Keep them moist. I am still learning the light levels, but a friend of mine grows them in a GH and there is like 25% and 50% shade cloth on the thing and during an overcast day it is dark in the GH!!! I grow mine just under 50% shade cloth and it is bright in my GH they are all doing fine. I have not gotten flowering down yet though. I do not think they like acidic so the bark you have it planted in is great. I have one in sphag that I need to repot out of. There are several forums dedicated to the slipper orchids that would be be a lot better help.

Thank you Ron and Josh for the input :). I guess I will just grow it outside as I have been under my shade-cloth. It came potted in the bark in the terra cotta pot, which I happen to like the look of a lot :).

Thanks Josh for the extra info. :). I'll probably be posting more if it takes a turn south lol. For now though, it has plenty of dappled light and is growing on a rack outside where my Izumeae x Truncata is enjoying life, so I imagine humidity can't be too bad either.

Thanks again you guys.

A beautiful Paph! The mottled leaf paphs have lower light needs than the green leaf ones, I think. Bruce can correct me.

There is an orchid forum but I'll leave this here so you can show off your plant. :)

Paphs and Phrags are my favorites.

Paphs do great outside - just make sure to watch 'em. I've had them flower without noticing until fall when I bring them in and see a dried up flower stalk - missed it for another year! :( :)

Nice Paph! Slow growers though. I have one paph but lots of Oncidiums and Catts.

Yes, the mottled leaf Paphs have fairly low light requirements. They also don't like to get as cool as green leaf Paphs do. Intermediate-lowland Nep conditions are in the ballpark. Lots of HD Paphs seem to be Paph Macabre crosses and you'll see the resemblance:

Paph%20macabre1.jpg

The fact that your Paph looks so similar doesn't mean it's a Macabre or even descended from one. But it most likely has some of the same ancestry as Macabre.

Back