What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Well MY dog is a hero!

PlantAKiss

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, Engl
Well, to me he is. :)

I was awakened early Tuesday morning (it was still dark) by my dog Ollie who was vigorously licking my arm. I was like "What in the h*** are you doing??!!"

Ollie never deliberately wakes me up in the nite. I sat up and then I smelled something. *sniff sniff* It smelled like smoke. So I got up. It smelled like smoke all through the house. My first thought was my neighbors (because recently I had to call the fire dept. for a fire that started in their unattended fire pit). When I opened the back door, I could smell stronger smoke outside. Ollie didn't go out when I opened the door. I was very groggy but I guessed it was probably smoke from the big wildfire in North Carolina.

Being half asleep, it took me a while to comprehend that Ollie woke me up because of the smoke smell in the house! Ollie has never tried to wake me up to go out or anything like that. He was sounding (uh, licking) the alarm!

Even though my house wasn't on fire (thank god!!), I think that it is amazing that Ollie woke me up to alert me to the smoke! It's good to know I have him as a fire alarm.

It turns out that this time the smoke was coming from a wildfire in Suffolk, VA...not the NC fire that has been periodicly blanketing Richmond in smoke for weeks.

I love my lil' Beanie! :D Unfortunately Ollie is battling Canine lupus (SLE), an incurable auto-immune disease. He is a very sick boy but is "maintaining" on two medications. He stoicly deals with endless vet trips and blood tests, not to mention the disease itself which is running hard in him. He has suffered a lot in the past year and still has his not-so-good days...so I'm amazed he's still "here." As long as he is reasonably comfortable and has no harmful medication side effects, I hope my Ollie Bean will be around to protect me from fires and other evils for a long time. Life is tough for The Bean but he's a tough boy. Here's to my hero Ollie who was dealt a raw deal in his young life.

On a good note, Ollie gets to go the groomers this Sat. for the first time in many many months. This is a big step! :woot:

Below...Ollie in better days, getting into trouble as usual.

dogs love their family, this is just proof!

Just plain awesome!

awww, great story.
I really hope Ollie gets better! ...I know how you feel.

Neat! Now you can sleep soundly with candles, cigarettes, and incense burning on old stacks of newspaper.

xvart.

That's cool! Very often animals seem extraordinarilly wise. My mom's cat wakes her up on occasion and then she notices that her blood sugar has dropped to too low levels (diabetic) so I think animals deserve more credit than they're often given.

I hope your dog feels in good spirits!

My mom's cat wakes her up on occasion and then she notices that her blood sugar has dropped to too low levels (diabetic) so I think animals deserve more credit than they're often given.

That's awesome, too! When my wife and I move to a bigger apartment (or house more realistically) we want to get a diabetic support Labrador. That's neat how her cat does it without any specialized training; therefore, I totally support your notion that animals deserve more credit.

xvart.

What a sweet story PAK! YAY for Ollie! I hope he feels better and has more good days than bad. Big hugs to Ollie the HERO! :hail: :-D

P.S- That's a very cute picture of him :p

Good to know he's watching out for you. We need out daily fix of PAKamins. Way to go Ollie !

Thank you all. He is sooo sweet and it's been hard to see him suffering the way he has for the last 9 months while tests were done and meds tried. At least now he's doing fairly well. As long as his most EXCELLENT vet thinks he's good to go...he's gonna be here!

P.S- That's a very cute picture of him :p

lol Trust me...he was in BIG trouble for that. I didn't put him in there! I took a bunch of pics as he tried to figure out how to get OUT.

Back