What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mystery egg

I was out at the lake swimming today, and near the grassy shore I saw this thing floating around... It's about the size of a grape, it's clear in the middle with a greenish outline, and it's squishy like a frog egg. I know it's not algae or whatever because when I picked it up it held it's round shape and feels like a frog egg. It's got little bubbles or something in it. I don't know if it's a frog egg or not because I've only seen small ones. This thing has no black spot in the middle like a frog egg, but it does have a bit of dark green stuff in the middle. Anyone have any idea what it might be? I took a picture compared to a quarter.
P6270009.jpg

looks like a large snail egg sack

EEEEEEEEWWWW, the only snails I see in the lake are those big brown algae covered ones! I really hope it's not one of those because the container has no lid. I don't want to wake up with snails crawling all over the ceiling and walls. Oh also when I found it, it was floating, so I don't know if snail eggs float or not.

lol they wont leave the water usually.....and they float if they get dislodged sometimes

It looks more like a clump of the cyanobacterium Nostoc than any sort of egg to me.
Cheers,
T.

What should I do with it? Keep it and see what it does, or just put it back in the lake? I saw another one just like it floating around yesterday.

I think you should throw it a pot of boiling water, add some herbs and spices for flavor, wait 3-5 minutes, and then see what it tastes like.
And if it isn't good, THEN you can throw it back in the lake.

Lol ew no, but that does sound good... Without the snail/frog egg.

Geez, what's with that lake? You keep making a discovery almost everyday, lol.

Yeah, and I think the lake hates me now for taking it's glob of goo... Our boat was floating around in the middle of the lake and we had to borrow somebody's paddle boat to get it lol.

Ew you got some really dirty ears! Just look at those q-tips! :0o:

Oh yeah, I was using those to get the floaty algae out of a jar of water. Lol, I guess I forgot they were there.

Back