What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

cotton ropes and water jug watering system?

There is this old guy like 91 and he lives out in Aumsville and he waters alot of his plants with cotton ropes and milk jugs. He says it lasts several weeks. The cotton rope wicks up water from the jug and it waters the plants just lay the rope through the soil like a drip irrigation hose. I am guessing the rope does not wick up nutrients from the water so you get pure water as long as the rope isn't died with ink or something. I imagine this would be great for nepenthes and other plants that like their soil moist but would it be enough for bog plants that like more waterlogged soil? I can only see one problem and that would be if you had the jug filled with tap (since I do not think the rope will wick up nutrients and salts) and you accidentally spilled it. Opinions ideas?!

Anything that's dissolved in the water will be wicked (that is just a stupid word. "Wicked") up by the cord.

who cares it gets the point across lol. So I guess the ropes do wick up the nutrients? Well then I guess you can still use rain/RO water. Okay now is this a good idea to water your plants when you go on vacation for a few days?

I used this to water my nep over break when I was kicked out of the dorms when they closed for approx 2 weeks for Christmas break since it was impracticable to haul all my plants back and forth. It worked well enough but I think I needed a larger braided cotton rope to be really effective because there wasn't a drastic change in water levels of the container indicating much water was consumed. I wouldn't want to trust this untested during the summer though when water requirements are much higher until after testing it out with supervision to see if multiple wicks are needed or if thicker wicks are needed to provide the amount of water required.

It sounds like a pretty good idea, but I would test it first before trusting your plants with it.

Back