What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dear members of the forum,

Andrew very kindly gave me permission to post an update.

As many of you may well be aware, I have been selling copies of my books to raise money for conservation and specifically, to support Meadowview Biological Station in their efforts of conserving Sarracenia habitat.

Many of you were kind enough to support my efforts to raise money for Meadowview. It is pleasure to write here that from sales of my first book, Pitcher Plants of the Americas, I was able to raise and donate US $5,000. So I would like to sincerely thank every member of this forum who helped this total be reached.

I have learned over the last year or so, raising money for conservation is not at all easy, but supporting Meadowview is so important to help secure a brighter future for the plants which we, as carnivorous plant enthusiasts, grow and enjoy. This is so important at a time when so much habitat continues to be lost. Several of the Sarracenia populations I vivisted to photograph for Pitcher Plants of the Americas have already been destroyed even during the 18 months since that book was published.

So I just wanted to write this up date here to say thank you to you all very much for helping me raise the money for this important cause.

I intend to similarly raise money with the release of my two new books - Lost Worlds and Glistening Carnivores and my hope is that at least a similar amount can be raised from these two new titles (hopefully considerably more)! So if you do like the look of these two new books, please visit www.redfernnaturalhistory.com for more details.

Lost Worlds is a study of the exploration and discovery of the tepuis and an overview of the natural history of the plateau summits. The story of discovery spans 300 years, starting with Walter Raleigh's quest for the golden city of El Dorado. It was Walter Raleigh who first say a tepui at the end of the 16th century, however it took almost three centuries for explorers tor each the mountain summits. The world atop of the tepuis that was found, is a world of twisted stone, carnivorous plants and orchids, and sparkling white quartz crystals. Surely one of the most unusual corners of our world - please see www.redfernnaturalhistory.com

A few sample images are included below.

thumb_1029048536.jpg

A view of Kukenan Tepui from the north, looking south

thumb_1417444149.jpg

The northern cliffs of Mount Roraima and nearby small plateaus

thumb_1857304518.jpg

An immense crack which seperates the norther section of the plateau of Kukenan Tepui from the larger southern part

thumb_1964831003.jpg

A secluded scene on Mount Roraima. The yellow bromeliads are stunted Brocchinia tatei plants

thumb_731368339.jpg

The Jasper Creek in the lowlands of the Gran Sabana - a small waterfall that flows over a bedrock of pure crimson jasper

thumb_346418048.jpg

A beautiful scene atop of Mount Roraima

thumb_270401071.jpg

This is an unusual variant of Heliamphira pulchella in that it lacks the long, prominent hairs which are usually present on the interior of the pitchers

thumb_1025579193.jpg

The spectacular leaves of this pitcher plant are extremely colourful and serve to attract arthropod prey

thumb_1558293761.jpg

The foliage of these beautiful specimens of Heliamphora pulchella is atypical in that it lacks the long, downwards pointing hairs that are usually present of the interior of the pitchers of this species

thumb_299260321.jpg

A landscape dominated by carnivorous bromeliads plants

thumb_287829721.jpg

The highly specialized foliage of these carnivorous bromeliads is brightly coloured and conspicuous and serves to efficiently attract arthropod prey

Glistening Carnivores looks at the diversity and ecology of the seven genera of sticky-leaved insect-eating plants (Byblis, Drosera, Drosophyllum, Ibicella, Pinguicula, Roridula, Triphyophyllum). It treats each genus in a manner similar to my last book, Pitcher Plants of the Americas. With the smaller genera (i.e. Triphyophyllum, Ibicella etc.) all of the member species are considered in detail seperately, but with the larger genera (Drosera etc.) each sub group of species is examined in detail with exemplary species described and illustrated. An ongoing motif through the book is the beautiful, sparkling appearance of the foliage of the plants' leaves, which of course, is an essential element in the trapping of arthropod prey. Please see www.redfernnaturalhistory.com

A few sample images are included below.

thumb_100963511.jpg

The Front Cover

thumb_55011733.jpg

Byblis gigantea

thumb_1964634139.jpg

Drosera roraimae

thumb_1026510773.jpg

Drosera filiformia var. tracyi

thumb_232055430.jpg

Drosera erythrogyne

thumb_530533612.jpg

Drosera solaris

thumb_714874400.jpg

The carnivorous foliage of Triphyophyllum peltatum

thumb_1580942780.jpg

Drosera glabripes

thumb_12607703.jpg

Drosera binata var. binata f. extrema

thumb_1409904532.jpg

Drosera cistiflora

thumb_509307652.jpg

Drosophyllum lusitanicum

thumb_241412266.jpg

Drosophyllum lusitanicum

thumb_831589925.jpg

Byblis gigantea

thumb_1784903389.jpg

Byblis gigantea

As with all my books, profits from sales go to conservation, please see http://www.redfernnaturalhistory.com/conservation

My very best regards to you all,

Stewart McPherson

Stewart,

Those books look great. I'm glad to hear of your conservation minded success of your last book. Hopefully you'll raise even more with these two publications.

xvart.

Thanks for the post. I just ordered the first book: Pitcher Plants of the Americas. Can't wait until it arrives.

Back