What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anybody up on their shorebird IDs?

• Thread starter moonflower
  • Start date
Hello :)

Not plant-related, sadly.... my carnivores are actually very content for once (!)... but i know a bunch of you all are into wildlife so I was wondering if anyone knew what this fella was:

weirdbird.jpg

sorry about the quality, its ridiculously zoomed in, i could barely see the bird from where i was standing even with 12x optical zoom on my camera- this is me zooming in even further on the computer. he was in Morton National Wildlife Refuge in Southampton, NY, not too far from the Peconic Bay/Noyack Bay (between the island's forks). from a distance i thought it was some kind of grebe or other waterfowl, but now that i got to zoom in on the computer it looks more like some kind of heron? any guesses?

I don't know what the bird is, but it looks like he/she is standing on a modified bluebird box. As a bluebird fanatic, I can only hope that that bird isn't using it as a home, and just stopping off for a quick breather.

xvart.

i don't know if it was a bluebird box or meant for something more aquatic... it was standing in the middle of a pond. this guy just kind of flew in and perched there for 10 minutes or so, i expect he hunts in the pond... herons eat frogs and pond fish, right? this place was riddled with them. here's the un-zoomed pic if that helps:

misc_001.jpg

bluebirds are incredibly rare out here, i've never seen one. do they like water like that?

i don't know if it was a bluebird box or meant for something more aquatic... it was standing in the middle of a pond.

lol, I'm sure it was not meant for bluebirds. Like I said, a "modified" box; bluebirds are actually pretty particular about such dwellings, so I'm sure that someone just threw something together to give a home to whatever will use it (I'm not up to speed on the aviary populations in New York, lol).

bluebirds are incredibly rare out here, i've never seen one. do they like water like that?

Not like that they don't, lol!

xvart.

It looks like a Green Heron to me.

Me and Elf both agreed instantly that is what it probably is, cool bird :D

Back