What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Found this on my porch

Wolfn

Agent of Chaos
On my porch, there was this nasty spiderweb that was in the way of opening the door. So, I took some tweezers and jabbed at the web, and this sucker fell out (along with a trapped lizard):

thisone.jpg

Yes, I had a black widow spider on my porch. This little guy was about two inches big.

This little guy was about two inches big.

^^----?????????? the little guy was big?

This little guy was about two inches big.

^^----?????????? the little guy was big?

I thought Black Widows would be smaller. This guy was about twice as big as average black widow, which suprised me. To me, this guy was big.

Sounds like a body image issue, which could lead to arachnid anorexia. Make sure there aren't any scales nearby.

No picture of the lizard? ???

xvart.

So which kind of plant is currently digesting this guy?

that would be a girl. lol
and yes, black widows are common around houses in your area.
used to have 10-20 of them on the porch in Florida at almost any given time....i hate em.

lol here in cali they are everywhere.....we cant move things around outside with out gloves or something or else they will be crawling all over you......i find them in my room all the time.....and sometimes a scorpion also lol......

that would be a girl. lol
and yes, black widows are common around houses in your area.
used to have 10-20 of them on the porch in Florida at almost any given time....i hate em.

Yup thats a female, only the females are dark with the hour glass and that size, males are very very tiny compared to the females and usually of lighter brown color but there are variations in the color of a widow, i use to raise them and i also have one tattoo'd on the side of my neck. :D There are other spiders that are more deadly than a black widow.

That brings back memories. I had a J.O. boss at the Rennaisance Festival who always thought he was ****** cos he had different jewlery with black widows encased in resin. Necklaces, hat bands and beltbuckles...

I'm in FL also and I'm always afraid of coming across a black widow. We have a bunch in our shed outside, so I don't ever go near it...ever.

Radjess, doesn't it scare you that they're inside your house sometimes?? I would be petrified if I knew one was inside my house (maybe there already is one in here!). When I would go visit family in California, they would tell me that there are some black widows in the house. I had nightmares every night about them, lol

That brings back memories. I had a J.O. boss at the Rennaisance Festival who always thought he was ****** cos he had different jewlery with black widows encased in resin. Necklaces, hat bands and beltbuckles...

I'd never thought of this before, but the next time I see someone like that (all ****** with their black window stuff) I'll probably stop and think "your macho symbol of badness wouldn't stand a chance against a tiny plant in my yard". Just imagine if we walked around with a sundew headband-it'd be asking for an *** whoopin' yet the carnage on some of mine make it clear that they are some of the most murderous beings on the planet.

XD take a picture when the cape has curled around it.

Just imagine if we walked around with a sundew headband-it'd be asking for an *** whoopin' yet the carnage on some of mine make it clear that they are some of the most murderous beings on the planet.

Yeah about that sundew headband, I have seen worse headbands worn.
narutard.jpg

thats the saddest thing I've ever seen DM, terribly sad. :-(

lol.

If I found one that was two inches, I would've run for the hills. Lol, "They are made of Fail."

DM, is that you in the picture?
;-)

Back