What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Getting the plant out of the box.

Hi, I'm new here. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to get a Ping out of one of those plastic boxes. I bought the plant at Lowes along with several others. The others are North American Pitches and Droseras. I am in the process of getting the plants used too my humidity by opening their boxes for anhour a day. the other plants are having no trouble with this but when I come back to put the plastic top back on the Ping's box I find the leaves very droopy. They perk up as soon as the top is placed back on but I'm just not making any headway with this plant. It has also gotten a few brown leaf tips. It's growing and has just produced two more leaves. It looks like it's potted in long stranded sphagnum moss. It's receiving Cattleya (bright) light and my humidity runs from 60 to 80% Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Hi, I'm new here. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to get a Ping out of one of those plastic boxes. I bought the plant at Lowes along with several others. The others are North American Pitches and Droseras. I am in the process of getting the plants used too my humidity by opening their boxes for anhour a day. the other plants are having no trouble with this but when I come back to put the plastic top back on the Ping's box I find the leaves very droopy. They perk up as soon as the top is placed back on but I'm just not making any headway with this plant. It has also gotten a few brown leaf tips. It's growing and has just produced two more leaves. It looks like it's potted in long stranded sphagnum moss. It's receiving Cattleya (bright) light and my humidity runs from 60 to 80% Any help will be greatly appreciated.

If it's the type of box I think you're describing. I would use kitchen shears - the same thing used to dimantle a chicken or a mob informant, that, or simply pull the plant out, and place it on a humidity tray . . .

Nancy Hello! I see your talking come orchid talk there! Woo Hoo! Ok I am having this problem with a couple nepenthes too. The plant is used to the 100% humidity of the dome. So try getting a clear ziplock baggie and placing the plant in there till it perks back up. Then every few days you snip a corner off the bag to drop the humidity slowly. Each time snipping more and more off the bag letting the plant acclimate to the lower humidity over time. You should be able to get the plant to acclimate to the lower outside humidity.

You have the infamous "Lowes Cube Of Death"! Depending upon how long the cubes have been hanging around the store, they could be real close to death by the time you buy them or in pretty good shape. If they are really old, then the safest way to acclimate them is to open the top half for daytime and close by night, for a few days, before leaving the cover off 24/7. To transplant, prepare a pot with fresh media (dried LFS in a bag for $4), with hole in the center. Place the "plug" (plant and media around the roots in the hole. Add water to meld the media.

You likely have P. primuliflora, D. adelae (and or D. spatulata), along with S. purpurea or D. 'Dana's Delight' or S. 'Judith Hindle' or S. 'Dixie Lace' or S. rubra. They also have VFT's, cobra lilys, and N. ventrata.

Here are a few "cube" plants:

AF001301.jpg

101_0120.jpg

AF001001.jpg

S_leucophylla_purpurea_and_dixie_la.jpg

N_sanguinea.jpg

Pinguicula_primuliflora.jpg

S_purpurea.jpg

I actually found some about two weeks ago too. I got s. Purpurea. I just came home and took it right out by dumping it onto my hand. I did'nt baby it. Right into the full sun. It's coloring up now too.

She was not having problems getting it out physically. She was saying every time she did the plant would show signs of dehydration. So she would cover it again till it perked up.

when i got my vft, i just take it outside.... it didnt acclimate and the leaves all burned and turned black and died, 2 days later 4 new growth came out.

I was also worried that inside the box it was getting cramped, which I thought might lead to rot. I repotted all the Carnivores in the medium I got online. For the Ping I picked some extra perlite from my orchid medium and combined that with the medium to make a faster drying mix. Since I found out what kind of Ping it is and that it's temperate in naure, I've put it outside. I cut off all the dead leaves and it appears to be much happier. I was afraid to take them out of the cubes but it's worked out well. I think from now on I will order my CP's from a places that don't "cube". I've read a few posts where credit was given to someone named Andrew for providing high quality plants. Does anyone know where I can find him?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've read a few posts where credit was given to someone named Andrew for providing high quality plants. Does anyone know where I can find him?

Andrew is the owner of Terraforums and Flytrapshop. He's the one roaming around here with the red name Adnedarn.

xvart.

Back