What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

i love garage sales

• Thread starter rattler
  • Start date
Your making me jealous Rattler! It looks awesome! Thanks for sharing.

It looks great, but try dropping the temperature to keep it from toughening up. I was told back in the days when I was still familiar with gun and fishing rod that you have to aim for a lower temperature than what smokers recommend when you're cooking low fat meats. That roast might qualify.

Lowww and sloowwww. Nice smoke ring there.

That'll make some nice possum roasts. Yummy! lol

Bruce, if i dropped the temps any lower it wouldnt have cooked......being new to this and having never used this smoker before i had a hard time holding temps.....it spent 8 hours at between 190* and 205*.......think it would have been better had i started it at 8 am instead of noon and given it another 4 hours....

If you buy a crappy roast, soak it in papaya juice for a couple hours. It doesn't really impart any flavor at all. Papaya enzyme is really good at breaking down proteins. Also, rub the meat in mustard before you put the seasoning on. That way, the seasoning will actually stick to the meat, and a layer of mustard doesn't impart any flavor either.

given i couldnt even find a good roast what makes you think i can find papaya juice locally?

I thought you had said a higher temperature. I've roasted chickens at 200 and they come out great, but it takes hours.

If you can't find a papaya around you to just smash yourself, look in the Mexican section of your grocery store (if you have one) or on the juice isle. If not, go to a health food store, if you have one around.

LOL i think you dont understand the remotness of my location....the nearest Walmart is 100 miles away, nearest Home Depot is over 300 miles....the "mexican section" of my grocery store is two sets of shelves.....as for the juice isle, im barely a few steps away from just choosing between all of orange juice, apple juice and pineapple juice....no clue where the nearest "health food store" is....probably 300 miles......ive got an aboundance of bars and churches here aswell as cattle, wheat and wild game......thats about it.....

Apple juice works good,just put it in a spray bottle so you can mist it good.Like I was saying about digital thermometer,it works better because you don't have to open the smoker to check your temps like your doing now with your probe type.Everytime time you open it the temps drop.I have two digital thermometers ,one for big cuts of meat or chicken,place in the thigh when it gets 180F it's done!Just don't let the probe hit a bone or you will get a false reading.By the way what forums did you look at?I'm a member at http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/modules.php?name=Jig

that be the one.....and according to the thermometer on the outside, even when left closed i had a hard time keeping ~250*.....unfortunatly due to a funeral my wife needs to attend and a buddy needing help with a carpet job i wont be getting out of town for a few more weeks.....going to have to keep winging it for the time being.....

Thats a good forum,lots of helpfull people.My user name is the same as it is here.I have been smoking ribs and chicken for about a year now and I'm liking the chicken better.Good luck with smoking meat,it takes a while,atleast for me.

Back