What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

can sphagnum have too much water?

i'm trying to grow some live sphagnum and more after i get it from clint in a while, wanna know if there's such thing as... overwatering.... the sphagnum...

I have always grown my sphagnum as a semi-aquatic for a couple of reasons. First of all, the method has consistently worked for me -- whether it was an effort to encourage dormant spores in dried sphagnum or to maintain tubs of the lovely green or red stuff; second, I really don't have the time to futz around with pots of moss, misting and tweaking them here and there, and they've taken to being partially submerged very well. Most wild sphagnum I've seen was in that state . . .

3rd, my sphagnum pot is finally showing green. :-O

3rd, my sphagnum pot is finally showing green. :-O

Good deal! Soon enough, you'll be complaining on the forum that you can't get rid of the stuff . . .

Keep it like a plant with the plant permanently in water. Then the top 20% will go crazy and grow away until you have a big squidgy carpet.

Back