What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Zollverein -- Pictures (you should look)

DavyJones

Is ready to take this hobby to a whole new level
Hi guys. Today I took a trip over to the old "Zollverein Coal Mine Industrial Complex" in Essen, Germany (where I'm living for the summer.) It is an old coal mine and coking plant (one of the largest of its kind) and is now completely open to the public to go walk around. It is really cool testament to the ingenuity of mankind, and has some really cool buildings/architecture. Here's the wiki article if you want read more about it... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zollverein_Coal_Mine_Industrial_Complex

So, I took 125 pictures, here are some of the best ones.
And here's the whole album if you're curious... http://s299.photobucket.com/albums/mm317/herrkaleun7/Zollverein/

The large mine shaft upon entering
IMG_2748.jpg

Old building, now a design museum, in Bauhaus style
IMG_2754.jpg

3D map of the complex
IMG_2760.jpg

Old Conveyor
IMG_2773.jpg

Coking Plant in the Distance
IMG_2807.jpg

As it was...
IMG_2798.jpg

Some old control
IMG_2805.jpg

Coking Plant (Check out the old picture in wiki from the same perspective)
IMG_2826.jpg

More Coking Plant
IMG_2838.jpg

There were almost 300 of these coking chambers, each numbered. A huge rail guided machine rode along the side over the water, I don't know what it did, but it is huge!
IMG_2842.jpg

Huge rail machine on Right
IMG_2843.jpg

Can you find the bush growing horizontally out of the side of this tower?
IMG_2848.jpg

Wow. Mining operations and equipment are always so awe-inspiring...just the scale of everything is overwhelming. I got to see a couple large open mines a few weeks ago, and I really enjoyed myself. Looks like you had fun, too!

(Lol, that tower has a bush growing out of it!)

Very cool. I have a genetic affinity for places like that because my mother grew up in an PA coal town and my father's family was centered in Pittsburgh. Have you been to Dusseldorf for an altbier yet?

Have you been to Dusseldorf for an altbier yet?

Yes! Actually I had my first one in Düsseldorf last night with my boss. It was really wonderful. There is a pub across the street that sells alt too, but it looks a bit shady, so I haven't been there yet. I had Schloesser alt, and it was very tasty. We're going back next weekend for more!:beer:

Man I miss Germany so much. That's kind of a dirty region though :-))
Don't worry about the shady pub....it's probably the awesomest place around. I went into a death metal biker bar in Hamburg that was fun as hell, after I convinced the guys I loved Slayer and beating me up would take more effort than it was worth.

Thats awsome!

I've always wanted to go to Germany. My Grandfather is from a small town in the north-west called Wuppertal. Anyone ever heard of it?

Great pics. What a way to make a living - slaving away at one of those places!

Back