What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Went on a hike - a pictorial (long)

nightsky

Lover of Mountains
Not related to Cp's at all - but thought some of you might enjoy this. Now that I'm back 'home', I can once again partake of my favorite activity: hiking and backpacking in the mountains. I live for this stuff. It's been a couple of years, so I did a moderately easy day hike to break myself in for the remainder of the season. This trail is a short drive up a local canyon, and is a 3 mile hike one way, 3000 feet gained in those miles. Round trip was 6 hours with a decent break at the lakes. Started off quite chilly, but it was hot by the time we were done. The altitude of the lake basin is about 9000 ft, the peaks are about 11500 ft. We were on the trail and hiking in the dark, well before sunrise. By the time the sun came up, were were a good mile up already. We do this to beat the worst heat and bugs.

Lots of wildflowers were in bloom, and the sweet smells of the different flowers mixed in with the pines is still one of my favorite aromas. Great timing!

Lots of pics follow!!

Here, we are a mile or so into the hike, and first light is hitting the peaks on the opposite side of the canyon:
IMG_5458.jpg

Not too much later:
IMG_5461.jpg

A couple hours later, and the sun still hadn't risen on us thanks to the high canyon walls. This kept us cool. Here we are nearing the upper lake basin, looking down and across to the opposite side:
IMG_5471.jpg

Sundial Peak, which overlooks the basin, first comes into view.
IMG_5478.jpg

Tons and tons of Rocky Mtn Penstemon brightened up our hike for the day:
IMG_5475.jpg

This entire area was carved out by glaciers of old, polishing smooth much of the rock (darn graffiti!!):
IMG_5479.jpg

IMG_5518.jpg

And just in time for the blazing sun - we made it to the first lake - Lake Blanche. Sundial Peak watches over.
IMG_5481.jpg

Another view from the same area:
IMG_5484.jpg

Dromedary Peak over Lake Florence:
IMG_5511.jpg

One of several meadows near the lakes:
IMG_5519.jpg

Lake Lillian:
IMG_5500.jpg

Another angle on Lake Lillian and Sundial:
IMG_5535.jpg

Our shady and cool lunch spot:
IMG_5505.jpg

Lots of water in the area!
IMG_5509.jpg

IMG_5512.jpg

IMG_5522.jpg

A view down towards the trailhead, 3 miles away. It was getting hot by now!
IMG_5496-1.jpg

One last look before leaving though! Lake Blanche, Sundial Peak, and Cardiac Ridge beyond:
IMG_5536.jpg

Totally amazing views! Would love to go on a hike like that some day, where was this again?

Ooh, WOW!!!

Hiking rocks. I love it too. Only, around here, there's no trees, no rivers, waterfalls, or lakes, no boulders. Instead, there's cacti, rocks, and fossils if you know where to look.

Awesome pics. I'd like to know where this trail was as well, please.

Again, this stuff is just amazing. Thanks.

Thanks guys - the trailhead is 3 miles east of Salt Lake City, up one of the canyons. I love having this huge playground practically in my backyard!

I love nature :D. It's a shame that the rock wall has graffiti on it. I can't stand it when people do that, especially in caves where there are old drawings.

Great shots.

Thanks for sharing.

That is absolutely beautiful! You are very lucky to have access to such a great place. It looks so peaceful! Thanks for the pics! :)

Back