What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How safe is the bulk water from grocery stores?

I have seen these Culligan machines at Walmart.
How exactly do you use them?
You buy a 5 gallon bottle..... then what?
My wife bought me one of those bottles a couple years ago but I never used it.
I don't want to look like a complete moron walking into the store with it and a blank look on my face.
How do they know not to charge me another $12 for the bottle?

I have seen these Culligan machines at Walmart.
How exactly do you use them?
You buy a 5 gallon bottle..... then what?
My wife bought me one of those bottles a couple years ago but I never used it.
I don't want to look like a complete moron walking into the store with it and a blank look on my face.
How do they know not to charge me another $12 for the bottle?
How you use them depends on the type of dispenser. Some have a couple of buttons or levers. One for raising and lowering the dispenser spout to accommodate different sized containers, and the other to turn the water on and off. Others just have a button to push and the dispenser lowers onto the container automatically and begins dispensing water. Check the machine instructions the next time you're in the store and if that doesn't help ask one of the clerks for help. As for how they know or don't know to charge you for a new bottle, if the clerk doesn't ask when you take the container to the check out just tell them that you're refilling it. The first time I did it was the hardest. Fortunately the clerk asked if they where new or refills and the dispenser was simple to figure out from the instructions (I read the pictures real good!). After that I had the system down and it's routine now.

Ok, thanks for the info.
I just never paid attention to them before, I'll check it out next time.
Deb got me the 5 gallon bottle to make wine in.
I didn't use it for that so it's still clean, but that's another story.

I'd love to do this but I have no way of getting a TDS meter because my parents are lame like that. I don't think I want to take the risk of killing my first plant!

Back