What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Got some baby bunnies here!

Trapper7

Loves VFT's!
I was doing some yard work outside of my fenced in area, when I heard a squeeking noise coming from the yard that is fenced in. I went to look and I found my dog messing with some baby bunnies. The mama didn't make it unfortunetly :-( They are probably only 2 days old we're guessing. VERY CUTE! Eyes and ears still closed. They have full bellies and are not dehydrated from what I can tell. I will do my best to raise them. They are cottontails. They are weined within 3-4 weeks and then I can let them go. There are 4 of them and boy are they adorable! Here is a pic. I'll keep you updated on how I do (if you want me to that is!). I've read up on them, but if anyone has any suggestions, please feel free to tell me. I got some goats milk and I already had a dropper. I know I have to make them go potty (I've done all this with baby rats before). I just hope they stay warm enough, but the website said that these guys will do ok with just a towel as long as it's between 65-70 degrees inside, which it definetly is. Wish me luck! There is one that is super fiesty!

new12.jpg

awhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

sorry I dont have any tips

but

awhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Hyper-cute!

However, if the mommy bunny didn't survive, I'm not sure what the fate is of the little ones. I think you should show them to a pet store or something for advice.

Meanwhile, show those bunnies love!

Hyper-cute!

However, if the mommy bunny didn't survive, I'm not sure what the fate is of the little ones. I think you should show them to a pet store or something for advice.

Meanwhile, show those bunnies love!

The ironic thing about pet stores is that often they know very little about the animals they sell (especially the chain pet stores). It wouldn't suprise me if they gave wrong information to you. Trapper, you're better off getting your info online or from a wildlife rescue center. Good luck raising the waskally wabbits.

Omega-cute!

I read that when they have that white mark on their foreheads they need mom's milk still. I figure though that ya know that since you're giving them goat milk. Plus they're pretty young anyhow. Will goat milk work?

-Ben

call a vet and ask for suggestions. There may be feeding advice online, but I'm not so sure that I'd trust it.

holy crap, they are cute though!

Awww :3 Like what Ilbasso said, maybe you can go to a vet and see if they have advice, or maybe give them to them.

Since everyone has already said it, I doubt I need to tell you that they are cute. Reminds me of a time I almost ran over a bunny nest (?) with the lawn mower. Luckily I saw the mom run real fast to protect her babies (she would have had no chance!) and stopped. I ended up mowing around there for a long time, and had this huge mass of gangly grass in the center of our yard! I would definately call a nature rescue place. Sometimes they will take care of animals in need, and keep you updated as to their status. With common rabbits, though; I'm not sure.

xvart.

edit: whoops, accidentally posted this in SK's N. bongso thread...

They are weined within 3-4 weeks and then I can let them go.
What???
Bunnies = yum a dum dum. In these tough economic times, you can't just let free food walk out!

Rofl xvart, quite a big difference in a Nepenthes and a Rabbit. xD
But yeah, as everyone said, those babies are absolutely cute >_< argh
sucks im allergic to rabbits

Um, I am sorry to say, but I don't think you will be able to let them go as they would have gotten use to humans meaning good.

I think natural instincts will be fine... Who knows, though. As they mature a little bit, they may be rather reclusive and non responsive because of captivity. I "saved" a baby bunny that had fallen down a sewer well when I was in college. I brought him/her in to make sure he/she was okay from the fall. It just sat in my bathroom for a long time, not responding to any of the veggies I gave it. When I took it outside and set him/her down, it darted away, glad to be back. I don't know about newborns, though.

Rofl xvart, quite a big difference in a Nepenthes and a Rabbit. xD

Yeah, I opened up all the new posts in tabs, and then just saw the title "New Baby in the family..." and thought it was the bunny post. It wasn't until a few tabs later when I saw the bunny thread still there...

xvart.

lol xvart, i open them in tabs as well, so i know what thats like xD but yeah. i would deffinitly call a vet tomorrow sometime for advice on the babies, it would be a shame to lose such cute little babies x_x

those are really cute. I wouldn't know what to do with them though. :(

well definatley call a wildlife agency and ask them what to do, also i think the have powder milk for farm animals, so i think you can use that?

I agree with Polyw. any wildlife rescue in your area they showill know what to do with them. also may be illegal to keep them if someone who doesn't lie you turns you in to the wildlife "police"
we used try to raise them when we found them while making hay , on the old family farm. never did work out right. My oldest brother tried warming some up in the oven WRONG!!!!!!
we only had cows milk.

Well, they made it through the night really well and are acting a lot more lively this morning :) Three of the four ate like little piggies this morning, but the fourth didn't want to eat at all :-( I was able to make them all go potty though. I even saw one licking itself! I didn't know they did it on their own! I'm calling places now to find out if I'm doing it right. They are sooo cute!

Personally I wouldn't trust taking them to a wild life place, unless they assure you that they are actually going to take -good- care of them.

Some places have strict policies on what to do with common vermin-esk animals. I'd say there are good chances that they'd just kill them, or end up feeding them to an injured owl.

I'm not taking them anywhere, as long as I can keep them eating and everything else goes well. I talked to a vet just now and I need to get kitten milk replacer. I'm getting too attached :love:

Back