What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is this?

These things have been flying around our garden and some of my cp lately, they burrow holes in the ground and fly around everywhere, and they are big, about 1.5 inches long:0o: I was thinking it might be some type of spider wasp, any ideas? Also, how do I get rid of them? If there is a web site about this insect, what it is, and how to get rid of it I would greatly appreciate it.
P1070954.jpg

I'll tell you what it is! It's GROSS! Ok, seriously I don't know. But I hope you get rid of them.

my hated enemy.... cicada killer. those things are nasty... their stingers are huge and are super painful. one was following me around my yard yesterday. the only way to get rid of them is to get rid of the cicadas i guess.

Alex

EDIT: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_Cicada_Killer there you go! =]

Alright, thanks glider14, I will do my best to get rid of them as they bother me while picking my garden.

I've never known anyone who was stung by one, so just relax and leave them alone.

:0o: Wow, thats one nasty looking wasp, i was gona say that sure aint no spider wasp.

I was stung by one when I was around 14, I was going to spray it with WD-40 while holding a lighter in front of the can. It stung me and it hurt A lot. He got a double dose of wd-40.

Ozzy, from what you said, you probably deserved it! :-))

I did deserve it.

dont kill it, the wasp is just doing its thing

I agree, that was a long time ago. I never kill them now. In fact I even learned how to hold them without them stinging. I think they are fascinating insects.

PAK! comeon! thats not an insect! thats an arachnid! =]

ozzy: how do you hold them without being stung?

Alex

Put your finger to them and let them walk around your hand?

I remember at our old school there was a bunch of wasps that made little holes in the dirt, and they would fly out when you walk over them. I think somebody called them mud wasps...

One hole per wasp? If so they were wrong. Mud wasps are kinga like hornets and make nests underground.

The problem is there isn't just a few of these, I have counted at least 30 in our small garden and they are everywhere. Also, they have been making the bumblebees aggressive and they do sting. I don't mind them, but when there is 20 or 30 flying around you it is disconcerting nonetheless. Our dog eats just about anything, and she goes up to the plants, hides in them and when they hover nearby she jumps out, grabs it and eats it. She loves to catch and eat just about any type of bug, insect, birds, squirrels, and even rabbits. A true hunting dog, even though she is over 11 years old.

Back