What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
The good news:

My very first Devils' Claw plant flowered - a Parviflora proboscidae. I hope to con one of my co-workers into allowing me to borrow a camera. Also now flowering are the D. prolifera and D. jacoby. The prolifera flowers look just like adelae, only larger. I might actually have achieved germination from the Nep seeds. Either that or it's just more sedge grass. Time will tell.

I found, nestled, in live LFS, with the binatas and Nep seeds, a thriving, camouflaged VFT. Not sure what was that from since I've been mainly dealing with leaf pullings. Speaking of which, I was scrounging good soil media for incoming plants and saw that in two pots I had kinda given up on, a cluster of VFT sprouts from leaves I received a couple months ago. Also discovered that from the apparent failed B. liniflora seed germination pot, that one just sprouted.

The cobra lily keeps sending out new pitchers, ignoring the 80's & 90's we have had for the past several weeks.

The bad news:

My 8 D. indica seedlings started dying and I'm down to one that doesn't look good. I think they went through damp-off. My D. aliciae is now dewless. And so are my two remaining D. spatulatas. Putting the mature D. capensis plants outside killed them.

Basically, I'm killing many of the easy plants and doing fairly well with the more challenging ones.

Basically, I'm killing many of the easy plants and doing fairly well with the more challenging ones.

Typical. Same thing happens to me sometimes.

I guess we tent to be too carefree with the "easy" plants, and spend more time on the more challenging ones....sometimes, I guess we simply mis-judge how tollerant even the easy ones are.

Kind of the same thing here:p My Darlingtonia is sending a stolen and is pitchering in the 80's+ and my Sarracenia Purpruea has stopped growing:(

Putting the mature D. capensis plants outside killed them.
I wouldn't be so sure. Wait a few months. That's weird though, I put mine outside and then immediately put them through all sorts of crap (a bunch of pests like aphids and maggot things, submergence for two days, separating, repotting, etc. within a week they were good as ever. I'd be willing to bet $10 (hypothetically of course :X) that yours will come back too.

Thanks for the encouraging words. I know not to toss plants too quickly (like D. adelae) and actually have the "dead" plants in the water tray, just in case they return.

Back