What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is this HUGE beetle?

Hello,

Take a look at this:

105.jpg

Please help me out if you can identify this one! This giant beetle, around four inches long, wound up on our lighted doorstep the other night. It's pretty cool! (Hehe)

Also, feel free to post comments!:-D

Regards,

Jimmy

Click beetle!!!!
atleast i think lol

errr nvm. lol

dont get mad, get glad!

Given that you live in the state of Roswell and White Sands, I'm surpised the beetle wasn't twice as big and glowing.

It's some sort of longhorn beetle, I find those sometimes. I wouldnt pick it up though, they can bite hard lol.

Giant root borer, a male.

That's on big beetle!

Looks like something drawn in a Calvin & Hobbs strip. ;)

Wow! That's a cool looking insect

In N. Carolina? It says it's native to the southwest. Definitely some sort of giant root borer, I'm pretty sure that common name covers a bunch of species, kinda like "pitcher plant." I'm not coming up with this stuff on my own by the way, audubon society field guide all the way! That thing is huge.

N. Carolina? He is in New Mexico.

That does look like it could take out a healthy chunk of flesh. Did you let it go?

oops! NaN is probably right then!

That would make an excellent specimen for a collection. I am finding smaller versions of what you have here where I live.

Yep, it's definitely a Palo Verde Borer, thanks for the ID NaN!

Yep, whenever it tries to get out of its container it tries to chew at the slick walls to no avail. But I won't be handling it by hand anytime soon. Those mandibles do look like they could deliver a painful bite! Plus, I saw it try a few times to fly while in its container.

Well, I'm not going to let it go, I'm keeping it for a collection of interesting insects that I've been finding locally and in the nearby mountains. With mantids, desert cicadas, sphinx moths, and this giant beetle, It's bound to be pretty darn cool, with no shortage of large bugs!!!

where i come from they call that a jabber walkie.LOL

Back