What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Look what I found!

The smaller one is shedding right now, it's almost done. Should I try to feed it after it's done?

Wait about two days after it molts before feeding and/or handling.

Ok I checked on it now and it still has some dried skin on the end but most of it is gone. I was freaked out though because the shedding mantid was on the other side of the divider with the other mantid. I put it back and somehow stitched the gap it got through. What are segments exactly? Are they the sections on the abdomen? Does the upper body area count as a segment? Do you count the segments from the mantids underside or the top? I think this is a female... Here's a picture
GreenMantis007.jpg

what is the black oval on it's shoulder? Caring for mantids is fun, we get a brown variety with fat abdomens around here, they like to drink water from my finger tips. Just wet your fingers and let a drop of water stick to the tip of your finger and bring it to the mantis's mouth. Thye actually drink.

the segments are the sections on its abdomen, yes. i would lean...female too. just a guess though.

I'll try to get a clearer pic of it, but it's going to be hard because this one is fast and runs from everything.

Back