What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PICTURES! U-995, Laboe Germany

DavyJones

Is ready to take this hobby to a whole new level
I took a trip last weekend to Kiel and Laboe in northern Germany. Over the years I have been very interested in the history of German U-Boats in World War II, and part of my reason for taking this trip was to see the last remaining Type VII U-Boat in the world. During the war there were over 600 commissioned, and this is the last one. The U-555 in Chicago is a Type IX boat, a long range boat. The Type VII was the workhorse of the German U-Boat fleet. Around 50 people lived in one of these boats, which you can't appreciate until you've actually been in one. So tiny. Anyways, I took over 200 pictures, and narrowed myself down to the 30 best, most descriptive ones. I have further narrowed the selection to post here. At the end, I will put the link to the album of the 30. If anybody wants to see all 200, just PM me. If there is demand, I'll upload the whole thing.

The U-995
IMG_3053.jpg

Bow Torpedo Room
IMG_3016.jpg

Observation Periscope
IMG_3001.jpg

Dive plane controls and gauges, Tiefenmesser, more gauges.
IMG_2992.jpg

Observation Periscope
IMG_2989.jpg

Flood Controls
IMG_2980.jpg

Petty Officer's Bunks - 8 beds, the officers slept in shifts, so 2-3 per bed
IMG_2964.jpg

Potty 1 of 2, this for 50 people mind you. The other one was usually stuffed with provisions. And oh yeah, I'm looking through the window in the door....
IMG_2963.jpg

The Kitchen, for 50 people
IMG_2961.jpg

Diesels
IMG_2942.jpg

Stern Torpedo Room and E-Motors
IMG_2939.jpg

Album Link:
http://s299.photobucket.com/albums/mm317/herrkaleun7/U995/?start=0

That's some cool stuff. Hard to believe that small range could cook for 50!

Thanks for posting these photos!

very interesting. thanks!

very very nice! Makes me think I should reinstall Silent hunter 3 or Sh4 + uboat missions expansion pack. :D

I've been in one of those in Bremerhaven. Very cool, and very cramped.

Wow that's really neat! It looks very confusing! :0o:

Back