What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In need of reverse osmosis help

I am really considering springing for a reverse osmosis setup for my bog. I have had my bog for 3 years, but those have been long hot, dry summers in Oklahoma. For Oklahoma my bog is too large, 10 x 16 but I love it and have struggled to water it thru the years. I just did a search here and have learned some important information but still have questions. I essentially want to hook my unit up to the outside faucet and leave the hose in the bog. That is ideal but I can't really fathom the mechicec of it, I know there is suppose to be a large amount of waste water but don't know how or where to handle it. If anyone can help me I would appreciate it and maybe suggest a specific product. I have checked ebay but get totally lost with all the choices. Thanks, Paul

I am really considering springing for a reverse osmosis setup for my bog. I have had my bog for 3 years, but those have been long hot, dry summers in Oklahoma. For Oklahoma my bog is too large, 10 x 16 but I love it and have struggled to water it thru the years. I just did a search here and have learned some important information but still have questions. I essentially want to hook my unit up to the outside faucet and leave the hose in the bog. That is ideal but I can't really fathom the mechicec of it, I know there is suppose to be a large amount of waste water but don't know how or where to handle it. If anyone can help me I would appreciate it and maybe suggest a specific product. I have checked ebay but get totally lost with all the choices. Thanks, Paul

One issue that comes to mind when thinking about your bog arrangement, is the finite amount of water most RO units produce on a daily basis. The one I had for several years produced about five gallons a day; the "waste" water produced by the units during filtration can be between five and ten times the amount stored in a given tank. That itself can become costly in some markets.

The "mineralized" waste water is harmless to most other plants and can simply be dumped or diverted -- through a second hose -- into a garden. There are a number of simple set-ups available for outside use. I would plan on using purchasing a model with a pre-filter to remove chlorine in the water -- in order to extend the life of the filter "membrane."

Forget searching eBay. Most home supply places now offer a number of different RO models . . .

Back