What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

think this qualifies for a.........

holy shi......dont think much else can describe it............

Feral Girl Found in Florida

have to say its one of the most moving stories i have ever read........

That's just horrible... Thank god she has a good home now. Good thing she was found at a younger age.

I watched a movie on either this situation or a similar situation in a psychology class... its really intense stuff...

I think that mother should be put away for a very very long time.

I read this article and it almost made me sick! How could someone do that to their own flesh and blood daughter? That mother should be locked up for a LONG time!!

People get all charged up about a stranger hurting a kid, but family causes much more trouble. Unfortunately, as that article showed, they can often get away with it even when they're discovered. I suspect the prosecutor made that deal because it was the cleanest way to get mother away from daughter forever. A friend of mine is a social worker who worked with those kinds of situations, but it wore her down over the years until she finally transferred to an office position. It's mind-boggling how many tragedies are out there and the system that should protect kids isn't up to the task.

A while back there was a hour long documentary on feral children I think it was on National Geographic. They're not really "feral" i.e. becoming like mionkeys, wild dogs, etc. but rather abused, neglected by their folks and by circumstance were found living near animals (camp following) who left just enough scraps for the kids to get by. Of course the kids were well messed up when captured but once rejoined with human society are able to walk upright, talk and play hoops like any other human (I can't play Bball though). Not that there wouldn't be some interesting psychological profiles to be had from these neglected kids but they hadn't really turned wild or "feral".

Wow she should be locked up for life and treted in sort of the same way

How could a human being do that to a child?

:cry:

Did you all read the full article? The mother's IQ is 77.

While what she did is, obviously horrible, I don't think she has the capacity to see what was wrong. Her "borderline" mental capacity makes it a wonder than either of her other children managed to survive to their 20s, but even they didn't make it unscathed.

I would wish no evil on this woman, I would merely hope and pray that she never, ever, ever, reproduces again. She is, quite apparently, hardly able to take care of herself.

I call Hanlon's Razor. "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."

I understand that concept that it may have been out of her control due to her ignorance, if thats the case then she should be put in a situation where she is taken care of and not free to make decisions that may harm others which I think she's obviously shown she's capable of....

if a mentally handicapped person kills someone and they declare that they were unable to know what they were doing was wrong they dont lock them up in jail but they do put them under protective custody... I think a similar situation is fair for this women... she shouldnt be free to roam and do whatever she wants when she's obviously uncapable of acting in a manner thats okay within our society...

her stupidity is hardly an excuse

Yes, I read the whole thing and I understand what you mean. At first, I thought what some of the others said, but after seeing her IQ and her part of the story and how much she still cared for her, I then thought that she had an appropriate sentence. I actually felt sorry for her after I was done reading it.

an IQ of 77 is far from retarded and she is fully able to know the difference between right and wrong....she raised her other two sons didnt she?

There could have been much more going on than just her IQ being low. I've known people suffering from depression and other mental illnesses and see similarities. Things weren't right with her grown sons either because they went along with a crazy situation. Everyone's life was out of control and it's a shame someone didn't step in sooner. It's awful.

Back