What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does this make me greedy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i am paying for a seedgrown N. Hamata
and before i found the seedgrown Hamata, i was offered a TC one from a member on another forum.
Apparently, buying the seedgrown one, and taking up the guy on the offer, is greedy to some people, but why would i turn down an offer for a larger plant, when the one i am getting is about the size of a quarter? It gives me variety, and it gives me a plant to look at while im watching my baby grow. Big deal if i taking up someone on another offer imo.

Why would that make you greedy? You're only getting two hamatas, while some people have a lot more.

exactly capensis, according to someone, it makes me greedy because other people dont have one. I mean come the hell on, ive seen people with 10 or more Hamata.

I dont want any confusion.

the person who he's speaking of is me. and I dont think my PM to you was rude...

if you dont think its a problem why post a thread? do you just want back up or something?

I was merely inquiring...

I appreciate your ability to discuss this with me... and by that I mean your lack thereof.

I dont need to remain anonymous I'm a big boy and I'm okay with talking right out in the open I just thought I'd PM you out of courtesy.

I said I'd understand I was just asking.

way to go sk?

Cmm calling someone greedy because they want viriety is rude. I would not want all my eggs in one basket either and would like to have several in hopes of getting a male and female. I don't have a hamata yet but I am not going to hate on Kris because he is getting two. Now I don't know what was said, but if the word greedy was used it was rude.

Hey sk,
just saw your CPUK post involving your picking up a 2nd hamata from XXXX, just wondering whats provoking you to get a 2nd when you've already recieved a seed grown?

dont you think its just a weeeee bit "greedy"?

sounds bad I understand,
its just that there are more experienced growers who are unable to get even one,

I understand its your choice to take whatever you want so by all means grab em up, I just wanted to say that it kind of seems a bit unreasonable ya know?

I understand its hard to pass up a hamata... so maybe thats the driving force. just saying there were alot of people who dont have one who would have enjoyed recieving one when you already have one... if you were in their position wouldnt you feel the same way?

sorry I know its imposing and probably even slightly rude.
just didnt think it was fair for me to think it and not let you know.

Chris

that was my PM I didnt mean for it to be " rude " and I acknowledged it may sound that way I had all intent of it being a polite conversation, and a private one at that...

its all good guys

Last edited:
well you were the one who divulged the source. He was just making sure he was not the only one who thought it was rude. Personally I would have thought the same thing.

Hamata from what I hear is an easy plant to grow if the conditions are right, and the name of the game is being in the right place at the right time. Also there are plenty of opportunity for others to get a hold of these plants if they want to buy them. No one is keeping the more experienced growers from obtaining them but themselves. And Hamata is not THAT rare of a plant. It has been in TC several times and many more are coming out of TC too.

Does this really need an argument?

Just thought I'd voice my personal opinion.

sorry if its not a popular one.

if you feel the need to treat me like a leper feel free

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh.....so being greedy is bad?!
....i guess you learn til you die!

If you have a means that is legal to get those plants, then by all means get them. Greed has nothing to do with, imo. Enjoy your hamatas.

If Chris has offered you the plant for free, then I would consider it in poor taste to take the plant. If the intent behind giving you the plant was the have another person growing the species, then the purpose was destroyed by the fact that you've already got / are getting another one.

If it weren't happening at the same time it would be fine. That is, if Chris offered you the plant for free, knowing that you already had one (say, for breeding purposes or something) OR if you weren't sure if the one Christ gave you would make it, or you just really like N. hamata and you decided to buy another one, that would be fine too.

Assuming that the plant was offered for free, and based on the assumption that you did not have a plant, I would agree with Chris. If the conditions in which the offer was made have changed, I don't think that it would be unfair for Chris to retract his offer. If it's his intent to "spread the love," then giving the plant to someone who already has one (or is in the process of obtaining another) defeats the purpose.

If the agreement involved payment or trade, then I do not believe that trying to get 2 plants would be out of line. Having many of a single type of plant is fine, obtaining multiple for free is sapping the general good will.

I dont need to remain anonymous I'm a big boy and I'm okay with talking right out in the open I just thought I'd PM you out of courtesy.

I believe that Kristoffer was trying to do the right thing by not giving names. In another topic about a dispute, someone gave his name and he expressed that he'd rather not have his name attached to the discussion. I think he's just trying to "do unto others..."

If you guys feel that you'd like to involve a mod, feel free to shoot me a PM or find me on AIM.

Uh... cmm889... There are a lot of N. hamata. Why can't he just have his plants? He got a second plant, so, I don't see why you should dictate what he does. That's not greedy. Many people have greenhouses full of em. Many people WANT A Cephalotus but can't afford them. But, I have two. Am I greedy? No. One is a different variety. It's called collecting. Are Greenhouses greedy because they have hundreds if not thousands of certain rare plants? I have a large Cephalotus, so, I got a small one from good old Adnedarn to experience the full pleasure of growing it from a tiny thing to a larger plant. Doesn't make me greedy. I paid for both. He may have got one free, but, if this "Chris" would like to retract his offer, then he can, if he feels the same way. However, you shouldn't dictate it and tell people what they should do and how they should do it. It shouldn't really be any of your business.

Honestly...

If he's getting 2 for free, then yes, it's a bit greedy. If he paid for them, then he has the right to obtain as many as he pleases. We are missing some details from the story.

Even if he was getting them for free I do not consider him greedy since they are two different clones. It is call variety and the only way to have a chance to get a male and female. All be it a small chance. With the seed grown plant has a 50/50 chance to be a female. He just has to grow it out. Now I would consider him greedy if he was seeking out for free every hamata he can get his hands on. These were offered to him. Who in their right mind would turn down the offer if they had the cash to spend? No one. This is just silly and proves to me how envious some people are of others.

I guess I am greedy too Kris. Last year I received a bunch of Sarrs from a friend who was getting out of growing them. They were several large plants that I was able to divide. In that bunch of plants there was a division of S. "Leah Wilkerson" and S. HCW(the HCW turned out not to be true but that was no confirmed till it flowered). Then another member sent me his division of S. "Leah Wilkerson" and S. HCW that he recieved from the same individual. Now I did give away one of the S. HCW and that is how I figured out it waas not a true S. HCW. Now I still have both S. "Leah Wilkerson" and plan on keeping them for a little bit. One is not pitchering properly so it is a backup plan. I am not currently seeking out another plant and have not been offered another. So Am I greedy because I have two S. "Leah Wilkerson"? I received them around the same time last summer. Yet by the PM posted here I am a greedy person. Because if I am not mistaken "Leah Wilkerson" is more rare than hamata is right now and cannot be found for sale like hamata. Yet I am a very generous member here and have sent boxes of plants with 11-13 different species of plants for the cost of shipping. I have sent seeds out for SASE and I have given away a HCW when I believed it was a real HCW. I give away plants and seeds all the time. They may not be the hamata or "Leah Wilkerson" every beginner wants to get as a gift but I have gotten several people started with many many many other plants I have divided off my plants or with seeds.

So Kris just know your not alone.

necifix, at no point did I ever say he couldnt have them

nor dictate what he does...

lets not become overzealous on the situation ;)

no worries the world goes round- :rookwoot:

est. it was never meant to ecscalate past a PM and had all intent of being within societies guidelines for levels of courtesy...appreciate the looking out though,

I guess this will just be marked as something that me and some other people just wont see eye to eye on, I understand the thoughts behind everyone elses arguements and they make sense...I wont fight that nor did I plan on ever trying....

I appreciate everyones attempts to put this into perspective...
at this point though its just a personal opinion on my part on this particular instance for reasons that are my own...

FWIW, I did say I would do my best to get my hands on more for others who were interested... I am not sure I even got a PM from you though...

Uh... cmm889... There are a lot of N. hamata. Why can't he just have his plants? He got a second plant, so, I don't see why you should dictate what he does. That's not greedy. Many people have greenhouses full of em. Many people WANT A Cephalotus but can't afford them. But, I have two. Am I greedy? No. One is a different variety. It's called collecting. Are Greenhouses greedy because they have hundreds if not thousands of certain rare plants? I have a large Cephalotus, so, I got a small one from good old Adnedarn to experience the full pleasure of growing it from a tiny thing to a larger plant. Doesn't make me greedy. I paid for both. He may have got one free, but, if this "Chris" would like to retract his offer, then he can, if he feels the same way. However, you shouldn't dictate it and tell people what they should do and how they should do it. It shouldn't really be any of your business.

Honestly...

I'm very surprised. I thought you were a liberal!
Sorry, I couldn't help myself. If you don't understand what I mean, feel free to ask.

Back on subject,

I totally agree with est on this one.

I think everyone makes valid points, and good discussion is what this forum is all about, right? However, I personally don't think it is necessary to immediately publicly post about a private conversation. I would suggest responding to that person first, and as Chris has said, he probably would have clarified his intent at that point, since, as he said, it sounded worse than he intended. I would be upset if that was done to me, since I would then be painted into a corner as a bad guy, when that wasn't the true intention. I applaud Chris for claiming himself as the person being repeatedly referenced, though.

xvart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back