What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who do you trust with your plants?

What do you do with your plants while you are away? Who do you trust to take care of your plants? Can you trust you family with your plants?

I'm out of town 4-6 days a week, every single week for my job. (Yes, it sucks to say the least!)

I make sure I water all my indoor plants (neps on the growrack) right before I leave so she doesn't have to. I refill the humidifier before I leave, but it only lasts 3 days, so I taught her how to refill it just in case. She doesn't seem to mind.

I also water my minibogs right before I leave, but due to humidity usually below 20%, it doesn't take more than a couple days for them to dry out also, so once again she comes to the rescue! She's told me if I want to grow the hobby I need a different job! I think she's right - I'm barely home to enjoy them. I don't think I'd trust anybody else with the plants.

no one but myself... i'll find an automatic watering system if i have to.

Um, well does nature count? All my plants are outside and I hardly (haven't watered them since the have gone out) have to take care of them any way so I guess nobody!

Um, well does nature count? All my plants are outside and I hardly (haven't watered them since the have gone out) have to take care of them any way so I guess nobody!

dont tell me it rains every week :-))

Yup! pretty much!

I never am away for more than a day or two when the plants are indoors, so there's no worry there. If I'm away in the summer, I either ask a neighbor or pay a neighborhood kid to water. My fig tree needs the most watering and, since my neighbor is a Turk, he's only too happy to help keep it productive. We usually get rain, but it's nice to have an insurance policy. I don't have them bother with special water though, just what comes out of a hose.

Nobody! No one else around here knows anything about them and could care less. Simple instructions are ignored and plants die from neglect... and tap water.

I am lucky to be able to water with tap water and my neighbor knows how important my plants are to me. So I ask her to water. I pretty much have my plants setup to be able to water every other day, so that is what I instruct her to do. So far so good. I give her verbal instructions and then leave some written ones for her as well. So far so good. This stent I am on right now is the longest I have had her do it, so I think I will have to get her two bottles of wine this time. LOL I have come back to dry plants on one occasion but she did exactly as I told her to so it was an error on my part. Everything survived.

Now after I move it will be a different story. I will have to definitely setup an auto water system. I will be using RO water and don't know anyone willing to take the time to do the necessary watering.

Back