What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Humidity

upper

Capensis Killer
is there any way to check humidity in my room?
i got a nep that's in my room with a topping of pure LFS and live sphagnum... wanna know how much humidity its getting.
and does ventricosa red count as highlander, intermediates or lowlander?

Ventricosa is a highlander. Don't worry about humidty if it's ventrciosa or ventricosa 'red'. But if you want to know, get a hygrometer.

Pretty much any ventricosa can grow in highland, intermediate, and lowland coditions - they're really not picky at all - although they are technically highlanders, as Capensis stated. And Nepenthes aren't really as picky as they are reputed to be when it comes to humidity, except for a few species. So really, don't worry about it, certain Neps can pitcher in as low as 15% humidity, possibly even lower!

And if the live sphagnum is doing Ok, then the humidity must be pretty decent.

The problem is if you have really low humidity your live spag will try out alot quicker and you would have to water it alot to keep it that green color. You can find pretty good hydrometer at walmart, home depot or petco. Good luck.

its been 3 days since i've watered it at all, the sphagnum is still puffy and moist. and since i've added the sphagnum that means it increases humidity right? so it should be around 40-50% or so?

i have a ventricosa red that i grow outside...so forget about the humidity for that one!

and since i've added the sphagnum that means it increases humidity right? so it should be around 40-50% or so?

I don't know what it was before, but I don't think that LFS will raise the humidity a significant amount, except for directly around the base of the plant. As mentioned, you can get pretty cheap hygrometers/thermometers at Lowes, WalMart, etc.

xvart.

Back