What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

low PPM

• Thread starter upper
  • Start date

upper

Capensis Killer
does low PPM water usually mean safe water? i get these arrowhead water that they deliver to my house and it has like 40ppm or something this time. does that mean its safe or with low mineral to use on my CP? in other word. is ppm the only factor to safe CP water?

Basically, yes, PPM is the only factor to safe CP water, because PPM stands for 'parts per million' in dissolved solids. That is, if you have 40 PPM water, it has 40 molecules of dissolved solid compounds (salt, minerals, etc.) per every million water molecules. 40 PPM isn't bad.

The only other thing I can think of that would affect water quality is PH, which stands for 'power of hydrogen/hydronium' ions, which is responsible for making the water acidic (PH less than 7) or basic (PH greater than 7). Good, pure water has a neutral PH (7), neither acidic nor basic. I'm not quite sure if the responsible compounds would show up on a PPM test or not, but it's pretty safe to assume that bottled or even low-PPM water has a neutral PH of 7.

so its safe?
these are from arrowhead. the kind they delivers right to your door front in 5 gallon.

It depends on what those TDS are. If sodium has been added don't use it. The salt will build up in time unless you flush it with relatively sodium free water.

Here's what is on the label on a bottle of drinking water I tested at 27 ppm:

Purified water, magnesium sulfate, potassium chloride, salt.*+
*adds a negligible of sodium
+ minerals added for taste
Purified by Reverse Osmosis.

As per Peter D'Amato:

"But this does not mean any bottle drinking water you buy in a store is safe for carnivorous plants! Often, bottled drinking water is purified and salt is added to improve the taste. (Purified or distilled water can taste rather flat.) So if you buy prebottled water, make sure the water is distilled or specifically states that it is low in sodium."

Is the above water safe to use? Maybe. Probably if you change the medium every 1 or two years. Maybe. Why risk it?

Back