What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Some kind of bug in the soil.

I noticed these before in my pot of some drosera seedlings and I didn't think it was a big deal, but there's more than before and I'm a bit worried. They're small, the biggest being probably about 1mm long. They hop too, and when I blow on the soil they crawl around. I don't think they're worms because I don't know of a worm that hops. Most are a light brown color, but a few of the big ones were darker, like black and gray. The soil is a mix of 50:50 peat and perlite, but on the top is a small layer of peat, which I thought might be good to help the seedlings for some reason. Are these some kind of harmful pests? If they are, how do I get rid of them? I have a ping right next to it, they're sharing a water tray, and I don't see any of them in that pot. Here's some pics.
This is one of the larger ones that is light brown.
Unknownbug001.jpg

And this one is the black and gray one I saw.
Unknownbug002.jpg

Mostlly likely springtails. I had them, and they're supposedly harmless. If they move quickly and can jump, they're springtails.

Would they go away if I changed the soil?

You don't need to, if they are anyways. They're harmless, and actually eat gunk off the surface of the soil, so just leave them alone. But they do move quick and jump, right?

Well I looked at the soil a second ago and they're swarming all over. But there's dews in the pot, so the springtails could be good food.

they are 100% harmless....dont worry about them....you will likely never get rid of them anyway.......

Back